February 25, 2011

Fabulous Friday - Style File

First let me say THANK YOU. Thanks for being supportive and encouraging and kind. Thank you for coming to visit my silly little blog. The fact that you do, leaves me equal parts thankful and baffled.

 Today I wanted to share with you a project of mine. This is my style file.

 For some reason it has taken me years to really figure out what my style is and even now I don't always keep it in mind the way I should when I am shopping. I'm trying to change that, to remind myself that just because something is on sale doesn't mean I need to buy.

I'm trying to remember to ask myself "is it flattering on me?" and "is it truly my style?" and when I find something on sale that I'm tempted to buy I always ask myself if I would still want it if it were full price. If the answer is no, then I leave without it.


Whether it relates to decorating or fashion, I find that putting together pictures of what I love helps me narrow down my true style. Somehow my style file also inspires me to be healthier and take better care of myself. Probably because I want to look as good as the women pictured do in these clothes.


This was an easy project done with items I had on hand. I used empty file folders, stacked them on top of each other, poked four holes in the middle of the crease and used bakers twine to bind them together. All that was left to do after that was start cutting and pasting kindergarten style. Try it. It's liberating to get in touch with your inner child.


I think you will be amazed at how this process will help you see your true style. If you want to take it a step further, I highly recommend the book Style Statement by Carrie McCarthy and Danielle LaPorte. It is a soul searching workbook that will have you examining all aspects of your life and will help you discover your authentic self. Oh my stars. I've become a self help book.

26 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I keep a scrap book for home decor. My personal style I've labeled "homeless chic" I am always in the middle of a paint project so I rarely ever wear anything pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. how fun, jen. i want to make one. i love to cut paper!

    i'm reading annette tatum's book 'the well-dressed home' and am having a lot of fun exploring this topic myself!

    love your tip about sales and "no." that happened to me today; i walked away.

    xo
    elyse

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely idea and great fun too!
    Susan x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this idea and the way you've put it together. I have home decorating scrapbook. There's a small section in the back where I have a few pages of style ideas for me. Shows you where my priorities lie! I think I'm going to make a book just for ME:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a good idea. I struggle with that all the time. Sometimes I buy stuff just because it is a good price and only end up wearing it a couple of times.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this idea, and keep a binder full of "ideas" for my home, the kids, crafts, etc. I especially loved your quote about whether you would still like something if it was full price. I'm a sale girl at heart, and often that drives my purchases. I'm gonna keep your quote in the back of my mind when I go shopping now. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your personal book. I love cutting and gluing.....but then I do teach PK...hum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea! From some of your photos I think we have similar (good) taste :).
    Daryl

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a cute idea...I just might have to make one for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great idea....and now you will be filling workbooks with style for your new house! I have used that same "test" for years. would I pay full price for it if I had the money and have saved myself some impulse buys! Hugs- Diana

    ReplyDelete
  11. You took me back to my teenage years where I would shuffle through my sister's Vogue mags and cut out pictures of outfits I liked. I used to tape them to my closet door { gasp at the thought now} and try to recreate the look-with what I had which was not much. I like the idea of creating a style file.I think i will try it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love scrap books. I have one for all sorts. It does really help narrow things down. Love yours. I didn't go to much effort to make mine look so nice on the outside. When I was younger I found it was a great way to help me accomplish goals.

    Cheers,
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are a self help to me! You have great ideas, love your book.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love that book. It's really helped me define what I want for my home and my wardrobe. I just went through my inspiration folder yesterday! Keeping myself on track of what I want my home to be and not buying something cheap is hard, but I don't want to feel like replacing something in 2 years because I never really loved it and it was just a make-do.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh I love this. I just ripped out a few pics from catalogs the past couple of weeks and thought I need to paste them in a notebook to refer back to. I think I'll go do it right now! Love your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the book idea, Jen. I am way older than you and I still don't know my style! I think it's time!
    Hugs,
    Suz

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just love that quote about style versus fashion. So true! I will have to write that down.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a lovely blog you have. I love you scrap book too. I keep them for the kids but should do one for myself as well.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your blog is lovely, and I am happy to be your newest follower. I do hope you'll pop over for a visit sometime soon!! Happy Sunday to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm the same way... always buying things I like, but that are not necessarily my style or what look best on me. I need to make a clothing style file, too! I do it with decorating, but not clothes. Such a great idea!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  22. looking right now at the page of wrens and other lovelies you so kindly gave me at SB. I treasure them and they inspire me every day!
    could be the cover of a style file, but then I'd have to take them down from the style wall! ;]
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  23. When ever I have to leave the house I walk into my closet and say, "I have nothing to wear". I have clothes in there, but they don't fit me right, or they make me feel crappy.

    This is a great idea Jen!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the cover of your "Style File" Jen. I love creating them too ~ although my favourites are Home, Garden, Studio. An entire book full of inspirational pages & it's so much fun to sit with scissors and a glue stick :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh YES! I am going to remember that little question when I shop from now on.... I'm often suckered in because something's on sale... from now on I'm going to ask myself if I'd still buy it if it weren't on sale.... Awesome.

    Good for you for sticking to your own personal style.

    Warm blessings,
    Spencer

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love this. What a great idea and FUN to put together, too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a note. It's always so appreciated.