April 13, 2012

Happy Plate


I love to make Strawberry Shortcakes during the warm weather months. My go to recipe is this one from the Barefoot Contessa. Except I toss my strawberries with straight up sugar and don't use Grand Marnier. Because I'm boring. And cheap.

 Here's a close up just to make you crazy. Holy juicy berry!



I also prefer lemon whipped cream over regular sweetened whipped cream. I mean, what can't be made better by a hint of lemon? Here's my recipe:

Lemon Whipped Cream:
1 cup heavy cream
2 tbsp sugar
2 tsp fresh lemon juice
zest of 1 lemon

Put all ingredients in a chilled mixing bowl and whip til, well, til it's whipped cream y'all.

If you are a little heavy on the whipped cream to strawberry/shortcake ratio like I clearly am, you might want to double that recipe. And for the love of dairy, don't let me catch you using any of that frozen whipped topping. Nothing could be easier to make than fresh whipped cream. Besides, go look at that topping tub and see how many of those ingredients you can't pronounce. Now try saying heavy cream, sugar, lemon juice and lemon zest. See? That's what I'm talking about.

16 comments:

  1. Yum!!! I am making this tonight :-) I think lemon whipped cream sounds delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum...thanks for sharing the recipe! I do love me extra whipped cream!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yummy! i can be boring and cheap too, but also crazy and exciting, depending on my mood :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I wish I were eating this right now. The lemon whipping cream sounds delish ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks and sounds awesome! I'm going to have to try the whip cream recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never tried lemon in my whipped cream. It sound wonderful. If you have fresh strawberries there I am REALLY jealous! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks so yummy Jen I am with you
    no frozen fuax whipping topping for
    me I want the real thing will be adding some lemon next time I will
    have to try out your shortcake too

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear God - that looks like heaven on a plate. Can I come over for a visit??

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks delicious! One of my all time favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, that looks so good! I have never thought of putting lemon in whipped cream! My mouth is watering. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks so very fantastic! Kit

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love strawberry shortcake and yours look wonderful...
    Hugs,
    Penny
    p.s. if you ever do make it to my neck of the woods we need to meet for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I googled "cottage blog" and found yours, and I'm so glad I did. The vision of homemade old fashioned strawberry shortcake on the front page was just the thing to get my mouth watering! I'm a new follower, and look forward to more mouth watering, inspiring posts!
    -Paulette
    3sisters-pjr.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh wow! so, a) i just bought stuff yesterday to make strawberry shortcake. ironic. and b) now i can't just leave my whipped cream alone. thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  15. great photos...of a great treat..

    cheers!

    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love strawberry shortcake. I love your plates!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a note. It's always so appreciated.