July 19, 2015

Around the House


Home. Aside from family, there is nothing more important to me. When we first moved to the Village more than five years ago (what?!), I had such dreams of owning an old cottage. I just knew I would love it. I had no idea just how much.


I've owned 5 homes but none has wormed their way into my heart like this one. None of the others made me never want to leave. None of the others made me feel free to totally make it my own. None of the others has given me such joy in every corner.


Don't get me wrong. There are plenty of things that need to be done around here. Bathrooms and a kitchen that need to be renovated. HVAC and a roof that need to be replaced. Ceilings that need to be scraped and painted. Flooring that needs to be replaced. This house has already sucked up more of our money than I could have imagined. And it's been worth every penny.


When I think back on what it looked like when we bought it and how far it has come, I'm amazed. The mother of one of Emma's friends also knew the family that lived here before us so when she recently told us that we have maximized the houses charm, I thought that was such a compliment. I hope this house inspires in others the joy, creativity, coziness and peace, that it inspires in us.


This past week we had company and there is something about cleaning up and righting my home after company leaves, that has me rediscovering all that I love. I could focus on all those projects that still need to be done, and believe me I am always dreaming of some improvement or another, but I find that it makes me a lot happier to focus on how far we've come.

13 comments:

  1. I don't need to go past the front door to see the charm you've instilled in your home. I love the first photo! It's cheerful and welcoming from your curtained turquoise door to the fun sign above the coat rack. It's easy to see you love your home, Jen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a way of always reminding me to find the beauty and joy in the present. Looking at what I have, dreaming about the future but really living in the here and now. Eeek...I think you even inspired me to clean! Happy, glorious Sunday my friend and thank you for all the insta and blog love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your home is so charming. I love the fact that you can walk into the village as well. I would love a place like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful vintage atmosphere:-) Love it:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So full of charm Jen. It's a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can tell that house is loved, in every nook and cranny!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your house -- it seems like a bit of paradise and the home you've created there is so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how you've made this cottage such a reflection of yourself and your family. :) And I love cleaning up after guests have been in our house too! I've never loved remaking beds…except our guest bed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like how you look at your house in a positive way instead of dwelling on all the things that still need to be done. I need to do more of that myself!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can totally identify with your feelings. We LOVE LOVE LOVE our little cottage - focus on little. It makes us smile and it owns us. There is so much that is wrong with the house, but there is much more that is right and we do not plan to ever leave.

    Enjoy your relaxing summer days.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We're about to put our house on the market in the next week and I'm so torn between wanting a larger home and wanting another smaller cottage like we live in now. I just love the coziness of a smaller home but on the other hand I feel like I need some more breathing room. I need some more nooks and crannies to decorate. I'm sure whatever home we end up buying, it will be perfect for us regardless of the size. Your cottage is just adorable and I love what you've done with your porch. Pure charm!!! xoxo

    ~ Wendy
    http://Crickleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good morning, Jen :)

    What a lovely post to read with my coffee this morning. Looking at pictures of your cottage make me so happy. In fact, I wasn't motivated at all to do my chores (long night!), but now I'm eager to get to it. I'm so very glad you're happy there.

    Congratulations on the upcoming wedding! How wonderful that they've decided to have it at your sweet home. I know it will be absolutely darling :)

    xo,
    rue

    ReplyDelete
  13. I went back to work when my sons were in middle school & high school so I could save up for any changes I wanted to make in our home. My husband always hires tradesmen for the work we need done. We updated all 4.5 bathrooms. We had to do the kitchen when I decided to wash a back pack at 10 at night and fell asleep. The washer never stopped running all night so we had a flood! Wood floors and the entire kitchen-gutted! The most miserable 3 months of my life! We are a family of five and still need to have a big house. But I dream of a little cottage with wood floors, white shelves in my kitchen, no granite-yes to wood butcher block counters and no stainless steel anything! I want a farm house look in a smaller cottage. Your home looks like it would be cozy in winter and lovely to drink ice tea on the front porch in the summer! I am so happy to read your posts, I always find your writing comforting! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a note. It's always so appreciated.