November 13, 2007

Making Friends


There was a time in my life when I underestimated the importance of friends. I focused, almost solely, on my family and neglected that part of my life. I now realize how important it is to have a network of women that I can turn to in good times and bad.

Lately I have become a friendship magnet. Remember this summer when I said that I wished it were as easy to make friends as it was when we were little? Well it turns out it is. Three times in the last few months I have met women in every day situations and ended up making a connection that ended with an exchange of phone numbers. I've also developed close friendships lately with women that I already knew, but only casually. My weeks have become filled with phone calls, lunches and shopping trips. I've realized that you get back what you put out there and that girl time is very important. This has been a great lesson for me and one that I am going to start applying to other parts of my life.

I've also made some wonderful friends through this blog. I think that has amazed me most of all. It's been so gratifying to form bonds with like minded women and I am constantly amazed by the generous spirit you all have.

This weekend I received 2 reminders of that. The first was this beautifully wrapped, large copper Eiffel Tower cookie cutter along with a sweet starfish shell from Lisa at Coastal Nest. She saw it on my Christmas wish list and I think, somehow knew that Sweet Hubby wasn't getting it for me so she did. I was so touched that she thought to send me this gift and I absolutely cherish it, as well as the sentiment behind it. Lisa, you are just too thoughtful my sweet friend.



The 2nd was this wonderful all American vintage sampler sent to me by Angela of Cottage Magpie. I can't wait to use it as the centerpiece to my patriotic decorating next summer. It's a very special piece from a very special woman. Thank you so much, Angela. I will always treasure it.

18 comments:

  1. Awwww....aren't you nice? What nice things to say! I really do hope you love it and that it works for your decorating next summer!
    ~Angela :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh ... your blog is wonderful !!;-) magnificent!
    You have very good taste and refinement!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like both of us have had our sock blessed off by friends recently!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, what sweet thoughful gifts. I've met Angela on my blog & she is a treasure.

    Rhoda

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so great for you Jen!!
    I think we all need to make more friends. The cookie cutter is so cute. Will you be making some cookies soon?
    I don't know if I am living the dream yet, but I am trying.
    Enjoy your gifts and your friends.
    Rosemary

    ReplyDelete
  6. The cookie cutter is so cute and so is the sampler! It's lovely to get little surprises in the mail.

    Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  7. What sweet friends! I just met a blogging friend for coffee and it was delightful to get to meet in person! I too haven't always been the most social with girlfriends, more so with groups or families or couples, but not so much just with the girls. But when I do make the effort, I feel rejuvenated and refreshed! Good for you on reaching out!

    xo,
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  8. What lovely gifts from these wonderful ladies. I know Angela from my blog (and I stalk hers!!) and she is someone I wish I knew in person, and I feel the same way about you. I am happy you have found new friends to just be a girl with. Friends are always worth it!!

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  9. I too have a very hard time making friends. It was nice to read about someone else who shares this quirk. If you lived in Alaska I'd totally be your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There are so many kind and generous people out there in blogland. Enjoy your goodies!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful sweet gifts, Jen!

    I'm so happy you are making friends. It really is fabulous, having friendships, like you describe!

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jen I did the same thing raising my 4 kids.It was all about them and though I knew lot's of folks ~ I shyed away from lunch dates etc as it took me away from my babies! Now that the youngest just turned 19 ~ I too am ready to "step out" though it's not possible to meet any group of woman as wonderful as those in "blogland" and that includes YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I find tremendous support from my girlfriends. Sounds like you're building quite a support system also. Enjoy the fun!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So true about making new friends and enjoying fun times with the girls! I enjoy your beautiful blog!

    ReplyDelete
  15. i agree, there are so many wonderful souls out there in blogland.
    so fun to see your treasures.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Jen, I so agree about the wonderful friends we have made through our blogging community. There are such wonderful people all around the world that we have had the pleasure of meeting. I certainly am so glad that I met you and do consider you my friend. I'm so glad to hear that you have met three new women and have formed a connection with them. It's so important, and can be a challenge when we already has such full and busy lives. The gifts you received are really thoughtful and such special reminders of two beautiful blogging friends.

    allie
    www.mycozyhome.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. that's awesome about meeting so many people! it truly is hard to meet people, it seems, unless you're in some sort of school environment. we have a social networking group here in town, which i've joined, so that's helped, but i know what you mean about it being hard to make friends nowadays. i also know what you mean about ignoring the friend side of life, and i'm feeling the pain, but at least your post is a reminder that making new friends is not so impossible as one may think.

    that's an awesome gift - and so nicely wrapped!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a note. It's always so appreciated.