January 16, 2012

And Then the After Becomes the Before


Where do I begin? The closet is done. It turned out just the way I envisioned it when we first saw this house almost exactly one year ago.


I love seeing all of my things on those shelves. If I don't see it, I probably won't use it. I can also clearly tell from looking at all my stuff that I have really gotten to a point in my life where I know what I like and I try to honor that when I shop.


I wish I was sitting there right now.


Today was a dreary day for picture taking but I just couldn't wait. This post has a crazy number of pictures in it. I'd be embarrassed if I weren't so danged excited. I wanted to share all of the details of the closet with you. I assume you are like me and dig that kind of thing. I'm crazy excited with the amount of storage I packed into this 2x8 foot space. Crazy.excited. I'm a storage geek.


So...the details. We'll start on the ground and work our way up.

This is an old album table that I got cheap at a garage sale. It's great for holding scrapbook paper, canvases  and big bulky things I don't have any other place for. The basket that sits below it holds my stamps.


This old vintage bucket holds my wrapping paper and yardsticks.


I found this piece last month while visiting my friend Melissa. I didn't know what I was going to do with it at the time but for less than $20 I figured I would figure it out. It is some kind of handmade garden caddy. But I decided to use it like those Pottery Barn wall cubbies that I love but don't want to spend the money on.


This grey wire stand holds my vintage jars and some favorite embellishments.


These vintage jewelery boxes hold part of my sizeable collection of vintage jewelery and jewelery making supplies.


A little reminder to keep on doing what got me here.


Boxes full of treasures like crystals, paper bits, wood game pieces and more vintage jewelry. Who has a problem?


Part of my library of crafting books.


I could just stare at these colors all day. That pink and red bag holds my ever growing collection of Japanese masking tape. Like everything else on these shelves, it makes me smile.


A favorite hook with some favorite ribbons and trims.


I wanted to show you how I used that narrow upper shelf. I put things up there that I don't access much. I found that Anthropologie shopping bags were just the right size to corral some of those items.


My big paper cutter and laminating supplies are up there too.


More of my library of craft books. I'm always on the lookout for more inspiration!


It wouldn't be mine without the occasional outburst of glitter.


So there we have it, approximately 16 square feet of storage and studio wonder. How's that for making a small space live large?


I still have the rest of the room to share with you. I cannot even believe how it came together. Hopefully I will have a sunny day to take those pictures. I may not be back for a couple of days. I bet you can guess where I'll be.

46 comments:

  1. It looks PERFECT!!!! I love the organization....especially those vintage bottles in the wire holder! Your hard work paid off... now, go sit over there and enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your little nook - so personalized and so pretty! I can tell that you absolutely love your space and that's what makes a successful project - big or small. Now... go craft something for heaven's sake!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My beautiful, creative Jen it turned out so lovely! I love the blue paint on the chair and the oil cloth covered desk!!! The whole project is yummy visual perfection and so true to who you are. Mazel!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jen--Your crafty/ inspiration closet is super cute. I love the colors and how you personalized it. I can't think of a better way to be creative than to work (play) in a space that best represents you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love organized spaces and yours is pretty too! Enjoy your crafting time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything has a spot...so nice. I find with our big studio things get messy quick...we just keep putting stuff in there and before you know it we have a cluttered mess! I love this closet :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is absolutely incredible! I adore this. Lucky you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Delightful! Can't wait to see the rest of the room. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job! I had to laugh at your comment about Japaneses tape. I keep mine in a clear plastic bucket so I can see what I have. Like you , it just makes me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is wonderful....my one question, is that desk going to be wide enough to really work on????? I love all of your storage containers and such!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is fantastic! Truly, I could live in this closet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just seeing this fabulous closet craft space made me smile! You are so lucky, but I can tell you deserve every gorgeous bit of it! ~Lili

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love it! All the colors, your storage choices- the whole thing is beautiful and inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The closet turned out truly amazing!! I love how you used the potting box ... clever. I can't wait to see it all in person : D

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is wonderful! I love it. What a perfect place to craft and create. I am working on a project in my basement right now and hope to soon have a space to call my own. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your creative space is absolutely lovely--the best part, your surrounded by the things you love! Enjoy your week and your new creative space! Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  17. SUPER cute! You did an amazing job of organizing that sweet little space.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Brilliant1 You've used the space so well, Jen and it just speaks your name. LOVE it.

    xo
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  19. oh, this makes me so excited for you. and makes me excited to one day have a room to use the closet like this too! it's gorgeous jen...absolutely perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! It's beautiful! I'm so happy for you and so inspired to get my own space together!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh Jen! What a wonderful place. It turned out so perfectly you!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This space is fabulous! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Looks amazing...I am so happy for you! Enjoy every creative moment.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love it. It has character. Like you.

    xoxo, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love the wall cubbies!! And I have the very same Ole' Virginnie tin. What are the chances?

    ReplyDelete
  26. hi jen!

    THIS IS FABULOUS!

    i love all of your fun storage ideas and i am playing an enjoyable game of i-spy, recognizing items from anthro and favorite books! fabulous call on the tan oilcloth.

    next feat: dear where women create ...

    xo
    elyse

    ReplyDelete
  27. i love it, it is so you! all of it..congratulations! Now we wiill all be looking forward to your creations.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Isn't it so fun to be ORGANIZED! I love how the closet turned out and all of your goodies in it.

    ~Shanon

    ReplyDelete
  29. You got the Anthro berry boxes! Are they as fab in person as they seem online?
    Oh, the fun you will have in that studio of yours, JJ!

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a great space! I noticed the Natalie Chanin book in your collection. Love her!

    ReplyDelete
  31. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  32. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  33. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Just lovely!It really came all together!
    A place for everything and everything in it's place.
    I love those berry boxes!
    XO Tracie

    ReplyDelete
  35. So pretty! Going back to take another look at your nook!

    ReplyDelete
  36. My craft supplies are all neatly organized in a walk-in closet I never open. This makes me want to bring it all out in the open so I will sit down and create every chance I get. Now it just seems like I don't want to drag it out and make a mess. But, the mess is half the fun.
    p.S. I covet your berry boxes!

    ReplyDelete
  37. It looks fantastic! Love the locker baskets and they fun colors...aren't book bindings just the best!? I love looking at the fonts and colors. So simple, yet so pretty!

    Can't wait to see the rest of the room!

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  38. oh girl it is perfect!!! i love it! yay you : )

    ReplyDelete
  39. That is one fabulous and useful closet. It is gorgeous and I wish I had one!
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  40. looks fabulous, love when the finished product so closely resembles what you 'dreamed of'. love all of your special vintage touches, i think i'm going to have to pick up those little ceramic berry baskets from anthro.

    xo
    molly

    ReplyDelete
  41. SO gorgeous!! Love those metal (I think) bins on the shelf!! Enjoy your space

    ReplyDelete
  42. I just love it! Look at all of that eye candy. You will have so much fun at that desk with all of those goodies. And, thank you for the many pictures -- I would have been disappointed in less :)

    ReplyDelete
  43. I too am setting up a crafty space. We bought our house last May and have been working on my crafty space which was formerly a panel walled dark outdated room since Thanksgiving!

    Just last night I got the first of the cabinets we're using there put together and filled with wrapping paper, tissue, tags, gifts waiting to be given, etc. I'm so excited.

    It is so much fun feathering these sorts of nests, isn't it?

    I really like the brackets used on the shelves in your closet. Were those original to the house or did you buy them? Your locker baskets are great too. I have one of that wider "hole punch metal" front kind and I really like it. The rest of mine are wire.

    I am excited to start my collection of Japanese masking tape. I decided I would purchase once I had a place to put it. :)

    Did you get that white and silver roll of wrapping paper at Target in the Christmas section? If so, we have the same one! I plan to use it for weddings, etc. not just Christmas.

    Happy crafting and fun to find your blog via Meg's Whatever.

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a note. It's always so appreciated.