July 14, 2014

Today in the Yard


As has become the norm around here, this past weekend we spent working outside. The porch is coming along. Slowly. There was a moment this weekend when I was just sick of this project that has far exceeded it's expected timeline. And budget. And patience level. But. Then I step back.


And I see this! And where once there was a boring, nondescript house, there is now a charming cottage! Slowly but surely, one weekend at a time, a lovely home is being made. And while it is easy for me to get bogged down in the details of what is yet to be done: metal roof, paver walkway set, stair posts and handrails made, beadboard ceiling, caulking, painting and a bit more landscaping...


I'm making a point to take time to appreciate how far we've come and how much work we've (mostly him) done. I'm also making a point to spend time reading, having a margarita, visiting with neighbors and sometimes just quietly sitting on that glider with my hardworking hubby.


 This Indiana summer has been very good to us. We have gotten very lucky with the weather. Mother Nature has taken care of the watering for us which is great as we've been otherwise occupied. I'm learning as I go in this garden. I have had a tendency to get very bogged down in the rules which rendered me unable to make any decisions. I finally came to my senses and decided to do my own thing and I'm sure I'm getting a lot wrong and I already know I need to move some plants around, but I'm having so much fun with it now.


My sweet peas (Thank you nanne!), coneflowers, crape myrtle, lavender and hydrangeas are all going gang busters. As is my veg garden. For the second year in a row it is the middle of summer and I'm not even a little tired of the gardening. I think it has finally taken root deep down in my soul.


We have a cold front moving through and have more Autumn like temperatures headed our way for the next couple of days. I have plans to throw open all of the windows, light a candle, do some embroidery, bake some bread and cookies and make some braised pork chops and homemade chicken noodle soup.


The skies are darkening right now so I think it will soon be here. I better go get my tablecloth off the line and sit on the front porch to welcome the storm. This time next week there will be a metal roof over it and then there will be no better place in all the Village to enjoy a good rain.

22 comments:

  1. The open porch really does make a difference to the overall look of your home. And isn't that the way it always is? Takes at least twice as long and a lot more money than you originally anticipated? I am glad you are enjoying it even though it isn't 'finished'. (LOVE the vintage table cloth!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks beautiful! I just love your front porch. The glider with the turquoise door look just gorgeous together. The flowers are looking amazing!! You have the gardening bug now, it's so fun, isn't it? I love the mix of hot summer days and cooler ones as well. What a sweet hubby to work so hard for you.

    ~Shanon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! Your garden is looking so wonderful. And holy cow, that porch is really coming along! I totally hear ya on the 'all that has yet to be done' rollercoaster, but you are so right in the thankfulness and enjoyment of the now! Glad it's such a great summer . . . :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is looking so beautiful Jen! I too am learning as I go with gardening- and it has very much taken a deep root in my soul as well. I finally feel like a real gardener because I have transplanted so many of my perennials. Your yard is so lovely! Your upcoming cozy days sound absolutely delightful- every last bit of it. I look forward to our busy schedule slowing down a bit so I too can enjoy an afternoon embroidering! Have a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, my goodness! Your tablecloth is beautiful.

    Your garden is lovely - rain work wonders and we have had none for more than 6 months.

    Your porch is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The porch is coming along great! You will be out there before you know it enjoying every evening out there, weather permitting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been there Jen, sometimes you just get so sick of the project, but nothing good comes without work, and you can already tell how much you are going to love it! A porch just makes a house, and yours is beautiful already! Love that tablecloth. I hope you can see fireflies from the porch:>)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love following the progress of your house-to-cottage project/adventure! That porch is simply fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your porch looks wonderful and your garden is beautiful. Can I come and spend an afternoon at your house?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your porch is looking wonderful. You home has such a charm to it. I love all of the flowers you have planted. Enjoy your cooler weather!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The porch is beautiful, Jen! You two should be so proud of what you have accomplished so far. I love that little mailbox, too. So sweet!
    Hope you have a great day.
    Beth.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is all looking great! Enjoy your cooler weather! As for the garden, I understand about feeling like you are supposed to do things a certain way- certain "experts" will often tell you about rules. I personally think that gardening is about doing what makes YOU happy. Yes, there will be hits and misses, but moving plants around is part of the fun. Of course my hubby doesn't understand- he thinks once something is in the ground it should stay there. Ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The porch is just adorable & looks just like you. It is well worth all of the effort & expense that you have put into it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness, I love your porch! Mine needs a total re-do but my husband isn't much of a do-it-yourselfer. (And neither am I.) Your tablecloth and flowers are beautiful, too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks great. Patience.... it will all be worth it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. doing some catch up reading here jen ~ your home and garden look amazing & all the hard work & love you've put into it shows . what a welcoming little treasure it has evolved into ♥
    absolutely love the little birdie mailbox. xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovin' the progress on that porch! It just looks marvelous!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh it is looking so nice! I know how you feel tho. When we redid our front porch, it seemed to take forever and it was so much work. But now everytime I walk up my front walk. I can't help but smile. Enjoy! Kit

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, Jen, your porch is absolutely lovely! And that mailbox... L O V E !!! All of the hard work is paying off. Soon you'll be sitting out there planning your next home "adventure".

    ReplyDelete
  20. Jen...it took me years to realize I did not have to go by the rules(didn't help having some master gardener friends) I now have flowerbeds and a garden that I love and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  21. just gorgeous! everything looks lush, mature & happy! gardening is like anything else...once you get the basics down then you can get creative & confident in your abilities. plus, that tricky mother nature likes to change things up so that what works for four years will in the fifth year mysteriously fail. keeps things interesting and the learning curve going. that's one reason i love it! there is always something new to learn.

    porch looks fabulous and THAT MAILBOX!!!!! perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I so enjoy your posts....your new front porch is lovely as are your flowers. Your girls are just beautiful ...... I would love to hear more about where you vacationed in Michigan. We love the beach (Florida)...but I have heard great things about Michigan, but don't know where to begin.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a note. It's always so appreciated.