September 23, 2014

Autumn's First Blush


Autumn is dawning. Everywhere I look, the first tinges of color where before there was none. The oaks are starting to turn and I know the maples won't be far behind. The last of the flowers are hanging on to their color and cozy mornings are bathed in golden light.


The squirrels and chipmunks are busy foraging for food, providing constant entertainment for the cats and constant nose prints on the windows for me. I know as soon as I decorate my porch with cornstalks, they will strip all of the cobs. I'm fine with this. We have an arrangement. At this time of year, more than any other, this place resembles a Disney movie, resplendent with woodland creatures. The squirrels stand above me in the tree eating as much of the fruit on the tree as they can, and throwing their discards down at me. They know what they are doing. The other day I was driving down Walnut St. and a squirrel stood in the road playing chicken with me. He won. My lovely, enchanted Village.


In the mornings I drive Emma to school, coming home on the back roads so that I can drive slower and my constant companion, Millie, can hang her head out the window the whole way. If we get really lucky, there will be nobody behind us and we can drive 10 mph under the speed limit making the trip that much better (and longer) for each of us. We pass large, round bales of hay and cows grazing. We pass a tractor sitting idle in a field, appearing to glow from the sun rising around it. We pass field after field of golden, spiky corn stalks.


At home things are quiet, the corners still shadowy this early in the morning. The dog wants to lay on the back porch breathing in the brisk air. The cat is more demanding of some love and I am happy to give it.


The day's demands are calling: laundry, cleaning, errands and appointments. All I really want to do is knit, read, write, bake and make soup. Pursuits that feed my soul. It feels like the right time for feeding my soul, like it came just when I needed it.


I know that October is the main event but I'm just realizing how magical September's build up is. Welcome, Autumn! I've been waiting for you.

19 comments:

  1. Just perfect. I like autumn decorations to be a little more simple too. It's just about being cozy and being home. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds so lovely! I'm afraid so kind to squirrels as they torment my Scottie and pelt the car with acorns! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! My dog used to bark at squirrels in the trees at our last house and the little turkeys used to hurl acorns at him, often pegging him in the face! Used to tick him off so badly, but made us laugh hysterically.

      Delete
  3. You make autumn days sound wonderful.

    We really don't get fall weather and the beach continues to call to us. It is too hot to work in the attic despite the need and it is so gorgeous in the garden that I don't want to do housework.

    I think I need some of your autumn weather to get things done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this time of year. I enjoy taking walks in the cooler weather and hearing the leaves crunch under my feet. I also love all the fall foods and believe it or not I enjoy it getting darker earlier. It makes for cozy nights at home.
    Happy Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have the soup taken care of, I made Minestrone this morning :>) It really is beautiful everywhere we look. I'm looking forward to a walk on a secluded trail through the woods tonight and maybe a bonfire outside. I have the fall nesting urge. I am taking a break right now, but all day has been spent cleaning and putting away the things of summer. Fans, bagged and stored in the basement, summer décor no longer seems right and I am stripping it out for something more autumnal. I am still not a fan of the early dark, I am a light loving girl all the way, but I think I'll raid my considerable stash of candles and sprinkle a few through the house. That should help :>)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You make your town and your days sound so lovely, i love it, your posts make me happy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful post! I want to read a book you write...please write one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely post! I was so happy to welcome in a new season today! And the weather was perfect - 60 degrees and cloudy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel as though I am driving in your village. Beautiful thoughts put to words. Experiences of life that are so lovely and such blessings. Enjoy these precious of times. And now go and put on that pot of soup!

    Happy Fall!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely post, Jen.
    We must have the same squirrels! They really think they run the show this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your photos and writing always tug at my heartstrings. You know how to capture everyday beautiful moments with words and behind the lens of a camera.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your picture you painted of driving down the road nice and slow. I do that when I travel down the Bitterroot Valley. I keep pulling off to let cars by. I like to take my time. :) Kit

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just love this post! Your home is so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pretty pics!! Such a beautiful face your pup has!! Enjoy your weekend!! : )

    ~ Wendy
    http://Crickleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. We've been having gorgeous days! I'm needing it to be a tad cooler to make soup! Excited to try your pumpkin cake, thank you for red posting it! I don't read very many blogs these days, but enjoy yours very much! Thanks for sharing. Hope to bump into you soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Here in Australia we are awakening from hibernation and enjoying the new warmth in the air. Your photos are lovely and it looks like you are enjoying your change in seasons too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your writing in this post is beautiful Jen. I can perfectly imagine this morning you've documented! (And I love that vignette pictured at top!)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi, I found your blog yesterday and had to read it from the beginning, it truly took me a wee bit more than a few hours; but I enjoyed every minute. I just wanted to tell you I live down the road from Saugatuck, Mi and am glad to see you love it too. It is a great place to live all year long. Next year you might like to try Crane's Orchard in Fennville, they have a great restaurant (serving all things apple) or Fenn Valley Vineyards for wine tasting. Also down the road in Holland there is New Holland Brewery(more tasting). There is much to see and do here, and I could go on and on but I just wanted to let you know I enjoy your blog. Faith

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a note. It's always so appreciated.