November 17, 2014

A Fond Farewell to Fall


Fall is almost but a memory. I'm looking ahead to winter because having 4 inches of snow on the ground gives me the right. I will soon be consumed with all things Christmas so I thought paying my final respects to autumn seemed appropriate. Did you know Thanksgiving is next week? I did, but I didn't! Tonight I worked on my menu and wrote out all of my lists. There's a lot of prep that goes into that production! Want to know what I'm thankful for? A husband that smokes the turkey so that I don't have to cook it. Amen.


We brought in our outside chairs for the season. This bench is also new to me and I painted the dining room table. Again. But then I never got around to distressing and sealing it so that was kind of a Jen-fail. I love the renewed need to nest that comes with each season. The embracing of the changes to the way I cook, decorate and live.


I loved this idea until I came home this weekend from a trip to Missouri to find that one of my cats had decided that freshly pressed napkins in a dough bowl made a cozy bed. I love cats but I don't love cats on the dining room table. This has since moved and the guilty party has been properly chastised. He doesn't even look sorry, does he?


In little more than a week it will be time to focus on my favorite time of the year. I've decided not to let myself get caught up in the stress of trying to do everything. I got a jump start on the shopping, making and wrapping. I'm giving myself permission to have an empty calendar, to not have a house full of homemade Christmas cookies, perfectly wrapped presents, handcrafted decorations and gifts for all of my friends. I do plan to practice random acts of holiday kindness with my family, go to a real Christmas tree farm, see Elf the Musical, go to the movies and make a gift for each of my girls. I really hope to live December as slowly and fully as possible and hopefully set the pace for next year.


19 comments:

  1. well i sure love your plan of random acts of kindness & living fully and purposefully <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. your cat just looks so adorable in the bowl, hopefully she didn't get in too much trouble :)
    I hope you have a happy Thanksgiving

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list........I'm glad that you are planning on enjoying the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jen- You really have your priorities straight for the Holidays. I hope that it is a perfect December for you! I love your sweet Farewell to Autumn. I have another week to go---We are doing Thanksgiving at my house this year with all the kids/grands. I am so blessed. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am busy getting ready for Thanksgiving, but I am also ready for Christmas. I don't put out any Christmas displays until the day after Thanksgiving and this year I am chomping at the bit to put out some of my new finds.

    ReplyDelete
  6. YOU! I just love ya. Thankful for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "To live December as slowly and fully as possible.". What a wonderful statement Jen. I would like to follow suit...Have a great Thanksgiving and a wonderful holiday season.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I find that a slower holiday is always a more enjoyable holiday, you can always add more but you can't "uncommit" yourself very easily, so I make as few holiday plans / commitments as possible. I'm pulling out the Christmas decorations this week and getting a head start since we are celebrating Christmas with our out of state daughter and son in law during the Thanksgiving weekend. After that, I believe I will also be able to live December slowly and fully :>)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful photos -- even that naughty kitty!! Love your idea of living December slowly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the bowl better with your cat. I think your cat needed a,soft place to sleep. Do not scold cats they do not understand mean.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can totally see how 4 inches of snow would catapult you into winter! I love the look in your dining room right now- and though the cat does make a lovely centerpiece I am with you on not loving cats on the table. One of my fur-boys does the exact same thing anytime fresh laundry is left on the diningroom table waiting for the laundry-fairy to fold it (me). I DO NOT like fur all over a freshly washed load of laundry!
    Enjoy all your cozy Christmas prep! I've been doing a smidgen here and there myself- more in the way of organizing in the house. And I may have ordered a new Christmas cd just now . . . yes, I'm old-school and still have a cd player. Life's too short to waste on buying and trying to figure out new technology!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your cat in the dough bowl really cheered me up! I've made a few chocolate cakes today trying to "get one right" for his birthday tomorrow and your cat makes me laugh! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Jen,
    How lovely! Random acts of kindness are the perfect for December. Tidings of comfort and joy...xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. put a pilgrim hat on the cat & he/she will make a great thanksgiving centerpiece :)!

    please share your thanksgiving menu! i love learning what others serve for the holidays. i find the cultural/regional differences in traditional holiday dishes so interesting. i too have moved the turkey cooking outside, giving my husband the pleasure of grilling the bird, regardless of the weather.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful thoughts on the season - I love the idea of keeping things simple. Love your sweet photos - especially your naughty kitty :) Have a lovely weekend. xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
  16. your kitty's face... little stinker! also, i'm loving the texture that the outside chairs add to your inside space... it looks lovely, as always, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the story of the cat in the dough bowl!!! He doesn't look impressed that he got busted! Did you put him in kitty lock down? I think its funny how our animals will do the naughty things knowing that they will get caught. Duhgall likes to lay on the back of my chair because he has a good view of the backyard.

    You thoughts on taking things slow sounds good to me. I think we put so much stress on ourselves that we don't really get to savour the special moments.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I miss you my dear! You need to text me because I lost all my contacts :( I have same phone number but new phone!! I hope you are well! I've been here reading awhile and glad all is well! :)
    xoxo
    Kristi

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a note. It's always so appreciated.