December 19, 2014

Where the Living Happens


Our family room (much like our kitchen) is a long narrow room. Our house used to be a one story cottage until someone added a second story in the 80's. This is not all that uncommon in the Village. The downside is that a good amount of our family room was used to make a stairway. The good news is that we can get to our upstairs. This created what we like to think of as a cozy room because when you live in a house built in 1900 (and 1987) sometimes words like cozy, vintage and character are what keep you sane. Especially as you write out checks to repairmen.



We have no fancy foyer (fo-yay) here. Instead we have an antique dresser that holds our bills, hats, gloves and scarves and a wall rack for your coat and bag. Or mine. It's ok with me. It turns out I don't miss my old two story grand foyer, with the window I couldn't reach to clean.


It turns out I like my cozy little painted, slightly crooked stairs that I used to sit on in the morning with Emma and sing You Are My Sunshine before school. You know, before she outgrew such nonsense. Sigh. Maybe the cats will let me sing to them.


I'm already feeling sad about taking this garland down and I can pretty much guarantee it's going to immediately be hung up in the studio where all holidays are celebrated simultaneously.


This year instead of the family trip to Lowes to pick a tree, we went the day after Thanksgiving to a local tree farm and cut down our own. Apparently not all of us were on board with this idea, or realized that it was supposed to be a fun family event so approximately 1/3 of our party was kind of grouchy. Not naming any names but I'm pretty sure when I force him (or her, but definitely him) to go back next year he (or she,but definitely he) will have a much better attitude, especially since this is the most perfect tree we've ever had. Sometimes real life doesn't live up to the perfect image in our heads. Welcome to the holidays.


We spend so much time in this spot as a family reading, writing, crafting, movie watching, napping and snuggling. There is often a fight for the corner. I think you can understand why. Usually the Big Guy wins.


All this color makes me so happy. How did I ever live in a house that wasn't this colorful? Sometimes I look at pictures of our last house and I feel absolutely no connection to it. Decorate for you and who cares what anyone else thinks!


This pillow is from  five thirty home here in the Village. It is one of my favorite stores in all the land and just happens to be about a 4 minute walk from my house and also just happens to employ my girl, Maddie. Erica has the best stuff and I don't just mean Maddie.


My Christmas decorations just make me happy. There are a lot of different things going on around here. French. Vintage. Handmade. Cottage. I've never loved the way my home looks at the holidays more.


I can't believe how quickly this season is passing. Is it just me or is that something I spend entirely too much time saying since I became old-ish? There are a lot of memories to be made around here these next several days and I'm looking forward to them all. I will be back with a holiday tour of the studio soon. It seems like I got my blogging mojo back about the same time I got my creative mojo back. One more thing, among many, that I'm thankful for this holiday season.


16 comments:

  1. It all looks so pretty and sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen! Your cottage looks so cozy and happy for the holiday season. I love your crafty, relaxed vibe... and I can definitely get on board with the idea of decorating to make YOU happy. I hope you and your family have a wonderful holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so gorgeous and cozy and you, JJ! Can't wait to see the studio.
    Very Merry Christmas to you and your people. I miss you all.
    xoxo
    T

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jen, perfect tree indeed! I miss cutting our own and all the family fun we had, I've repressed the spats, the groans, the grumpy males from those days. They are my memories and I'm making them perfect, too. I'm so happy to see you back with your lovely creativity. Happy Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful post, Jen. I always picture your life in your sweet village with a bit of jealousy factored in. I love your old house and it is perfectly imperfect. I hope you are enjoying every single moment of the Holiday season...and I bet you are because you have your priorities straight. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  6. simply lovely!

    I totally get the old house issues! But, I would not trade this quaint old cottage for a McMansion for anything. I love the home you have created for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Same here! I look at pictures of my last house and wonder who really lived there. It was all gold, maroon, heavy, rich, plum, cream. Now my house is very much like yours, as a matter of fact...light, white, bold pops of clear colors, aqua, cherry reds, etc...and I couldn't feel more at home. I love the attention to detail in your cottage. So nicely done. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your home is so inviting and I love how you've dressed it up for the holidays!
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Best post! Your Christmas decorating is lovely. Beautiful [beautiful] tree -- and that garland? Oh yes, relocate it -- but don't put it away! It's so cute! Merry, merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your home it is so charming and beautifully decorated.
    I am happy that you have your blogging mojo back :). Now if I can find mine...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your tree *is* just perfect! With all of the packages sitting around it -- it really looks like a photo from a magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  12. As always, I enjoy seeing all the cozy corners of your home. Lovely, lovely, lovely . . . I am with you on the mantra of 'cozy, vintage, and character'- our 1926 house with it's 1982 updates (ugh) are full of it, as well. But since I've never lived in a newer house where things aren't falling apart or extremely inconvenient, I guess I don't know what I'm missing. I kinda hope to keep it that way. :)

    I really love your staircase and it's garlands . . . and your tree is absolutely gorgeous. Seriously, whomever was not so on-board with the idea of cut-your-own should just be thinking how hot a lumberjack really is! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your house...so charming and full of personality. I love small homes and cottages that are full of charm instead of "cookie cutter" huge houses. Your tree is just gorgeous! Glad you got your blogging mojo back...I look forward to your posts. Merry Christmas to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your home and decorations! You are an opposite of me, soft colors simple decor and I am reds and greens and lots of kitsch. But I sure love your look. :) Kit

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jen....I absolutely love your home, the color, the life that is clearly there. It makes me happy just seeing the pictures! Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your cottage is absolutely charming! I love the way you've decorated with vintage treasures and new things intermingled. Thank you for the tour!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a note. It's always so appreciated.