December 17, 2014

Where the Magic Happens


Before Christmas completely passes me by, I wanted to get pictures of our decorations this year, mostly so I will remember where to put things next year! I thought I'd start with the kitchen and dining room today.


This is our fourth Christmas in this house and I feel like it's finally coming together the way I want it to.


The decorations are a mix of handmade, vintage and happy, colorful things.


I only buy new things that I really, really love. I couldn't resist this new creamer and sugar bowl.


I can't resist dishes with eyelashes.


Or dishes with mustaches and monocles. I mean, I'm merely human.


The mug rack is sporting some new friends this season. See what I mean about the monocle? The owl mug had to come home with me. The best part is that all of these are staying out when all the rest of Christmas has been packed away.


Here's an overall shot of the kitchen side of this long narrow room. Don't be fooled by the power of photography, the cabinets are falling apart and we don't even want to talk about the 30 year old tile counters. But even so, this room makes me happy and I will patiently wait however many years it takes to get my dream kitchen.


 The view from the kitchen doorway.


 A favorite flea market find.


All of these things have been collected over the last several years. Some I've received as gifts and those are extra special to me.


More evidence of my preference for dishes with faces.


Oh my. I'm not sure I realized just how big this collection was until I starting looking at these pictures. Is there a 12 step program for people that love dishes with eyes?


This is the other side of the room. I suffer from chalkboard paralysis. I'm sure this is a real condition. I know what I want to write here and might get to it by Christmas day. Or more likely will sweet talk someone else into writing it for me. Just squint and imagine it says Be Merry. Perfect.


The mantle is one of my very favorite things this year. My guy (such a good sport) made me the N and the L, I "borrowed" the E from Emma and the O is a foam wreath that I wrapped in torn strips of fabric. I love how it turned out.


The season is slipping by so quickly. I've finished all the stressful stuff and have now officially entered the part of the season where I start letting go of things on my to do list. Another year without Christmas cards. Another year where I can't possibly make all the Christmas projects I wish I had time to make. Another year that I didn't bake for all of the neighbors. Another year that my presents aren't perfectly wrapped.


This is real life, not some magazine worthy perfect image of what Christmas should look like. This is college tuition payments, cars in the shop, hair that needs to be colored, laptop that needs to be replaced, doctors appointments, slipcovers that need to be washed, not enough time in the day, messy, lovely, reality. I wouldn't trade it for anything.


23 comments:

  1. It's all so pretty Jen. Thank you for reminding me to let go and embrace the lovely reality that is my life. My brother received the best of news on his prognosis today so this is a very Merry Christmas indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it all, its so very cheerful and i just love your outlook on life too. thanks for sharing it all with us :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ummm....magazine worthy only better because it's you!
    Happy holidays and thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your decorated home is so charming, Jen! I share your love of many of the same vintage collectibles. I can't imagine Christmas without my red and green vintage treasures on center stage! Your mantel decor is so whimsical and so very you. I love it!!

    I think I have a photo pinned of a diorama ornament you made a few years ago that I'm hoping to get around to make before Christmas. It's got a teeny tiny pennant banner across the top and it's so adorable! I never seem to find time to do everything on my list either, but somehow it's not missed when our family is all together. I hope you and your family have a very Merry Christmas!

    Thanks for sharing your holiday home with us. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love everything in your home, if you ever decide to have a garage sale please let me know HA

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love seeing pictures of your home...your touches of Christmas, your new little pretties (love the owl mug!). The NOEL on your fireplace mantel is perfect. I find myself nodding my head in agreement with your reality stuff such as your kitchen needing updating (nothing in my kitchen has been replaced or updated in about 26 years except for appliances), laptop needing replacing (mine, too!), cars needing repairs (brakes!), hair needing coloring (my roots are showing). Yep, all part of what makes life...life, right? There's a lot of good stuff, too. Here's wishing you and your family a wonderful holiday together!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, this is just wonderful Jen! It's been awhile since I've checked in here and I am so glad I did today. Love the festive Christmas decor and I also love your open shelves in the kitchen... so charming. Enjoy the rest of this Christmas season with your family!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Please can you tell us about the gorgeous, sparkly wreath on top of the bookcase? Did you make it or where did you buy it? Thanks bunches!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everything looks comfy and homey. Favorites - the Merry Christmas garland, aprons hanging together, and the entire mantel.

    Just like I can't believe that was Emma in the IG photo, I can't believe you have already been in your home 4 years. I remember when you first decided to move, then the hunt and the disappointments. You have turned it into a special little spot for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. LoVe....LoVe....LoVe your Christmas kitchen photos!!!
    Simply beautiful!!! And no Jen there isn’t a 12 program for people like us that love pretty dishes with or without eyes. I adore your creamer and sugar bowl, if I had seen them I couldn’t have just walk past them with out buying a set. ÜBER cute.
    Always a delight to come and visit your blog because it’s real and that is perfect in it’s self! Have a magical fourth advent.
    Anna xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your house is all so cottagey pretty! I hope it's your village dream come true...it would be for me!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jen, your Christmas decorating is so perfect! I love all of your Santa mugs. I only have one and I put candy canes in it. Have a Merry Christmas Jen!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You'd never know that things were falling apart in your kitchen -- it looks so lovely. And yes, I well understand you're having to buy the sugar and creamer set. Now my Spidey senses are on full alert for the same!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Everything is so so pretty! I love it all! You have a great eye for decorating and special touches everywhere! Love that sugar and creamer set too! Beyond adorable!! Merry Merry Christmas to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It all looks wonderful to me. Who said things have to be absolutely perfect? If it were you wouldn't be truly living in your home. : )

    ReplyDelete
  16. I always love your posts- this is no exception.
    Thanks for being real. Real is beautiful- proof right here! :)
    (Happy upcoming birthday- I know it's around the corner!)

    ReplyDelete
  17. shall i send my kids over to draw more daleks and suns on your chalkboard? i'm sure they could make them look festive ;) wish i could sit on your stools and eat your magnificent cookies while you arrange your dishware with faces. that would be my christmas wish!! happy holidays, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So charming - love all your sweet collections! It is these personal things collected or given as gifts that make a home! I don't think I've ever completed a 'to do' list - I have them everywhere. I make them and then never look at them again! We can only do what we can. Sometimes just doing nothing is what is best. I have the same blue canning jar with lid that your tea bags are in :) It is my favorite. I hope you have a lovely Christmas and many blessings for the New Year. xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your perfectly imperfect kitchen is 1000 times more wonderful than all the subway-tiled, huge-islanded, industrial pendant lit, commercial-grade appliance kitchens out there in the blogosphere! Your Christmas décor is delightful, and I can imagine myself actually living in such a warm and nurturing room, crooked cupboards and all - thank you for sharing it. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It is eyelash-batting perfection. And when I visit, let's just casually lose count of the number of Catch Kidston mugs in the collection...it doesn't matter how many you have...

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm in full swoon mode over your new cream & sugar. I need... I want.... Your home is dreamy, cozy and very inviting. Merry Christmas, Jen. Also, let me be the first to wish you Happy Birthday! I've had your card for a while now, but did I mail it in time to reach you on your actual birthday? Why no, of course not. But on the other hand, I like to keep birthday celebrations going for weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I just love it all! I've been admiring those Santa glasses for years -- every time that you post them, I covet ;) You always have things so beautiful but so real. I don't care if it isn't "perfect" -- it looks magazine worthy to me!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I just love your home and your blog. This is how imagine living in America in a small town and not like the glossies or the tele. Have a lovely Christmas with your family and get some 'feet up' time.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a note. It's always so appreciated.