January 28, 2015

This One Goes Out to the One I Love


Today my guy celebrates his 45th birthday. I'm so thankful that he is the person I get to spend my life with. This past weekend we were talking about our beginning, about how clueless, in love and full of faith we were that this was the right thing. Many people said it wouldn't last. I don't even blame them. There are so many reasons it shouldn't have. Except that we wanted it to and we have always worked together to make sure that it does.

It turns out I barely loved him when we got married. I mean, I thought I was mad for him but compared to what we have now, that was just skimming the surface. We have been through so much. SO much. And through each challenge and heartache we come out stronger. We put our marriage first. Period. Our children don't suffer for it. They benefit from it.

I am married to my best friend. A man who is difficult to anger, supports all of my crazy ideas, truly loves me unconditionally and shows me with his words and actions and who responds to my multiple failings with such grace and love that even as I type this tears well up in my eyes.

He always asks me what he did to deserve me but I think the real question is what did I do to deserve him?


Happy Birthday my dearest, sweetest love. May we celebrate 50 more together.

(Photos by my girl Teresa at Meadowbrook Farm)

24 comments:

  1. Awwww ... happy birthday to your FABULOUS husband!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awe, what a beautiful post. Happy Birthday Mr Cottage Nest, and may the next 50 years together be even better ones! Xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Anniversary Jen. And many more. A love like yours is rare indeed, and a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday to your husband! I had to come over and comment because my husband and I are 31 and got married when we were 21. We were so young and *SOINLOVE,* Or so we thought. Little did we know that what we had then was young, silly love. Ten years later and it's all so much deeper and more meaningful. And we don't even have kids yet! I am pregnant with our first and everyday I am in awe of the wonderful father he already is! Anyway, reading this makes me very happy for you both! Hope the birthday celebrations are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday wishes to your Bestie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday wishes to your Bestie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So beautiful, what a wonderful tribute to your hubby on his birthday, such a cute couple

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awww....I love it! You two do seem to be a match made in heaven. Happy birthday to Mr. Cottage Nest ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gah! You two are the cutest thing ever. Happy Birthday to your fab man.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful post....I think you both are lucky to have one another! Happy Birthday to Mr. Cottage Nest!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a sweet post! Happy Birthday to your husband!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So sweet! You two make a beautiful couple! Happy Birthday to your guy!

    P.S. I agree and think our daughters would be friends too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a sweet post. Happy Birthday to your husband ....he sounds like a wonderful man.

    ReplyDelete
  14. happy, happy birthday to the internet's most helpful & handy husband (LOVE the REM reference)! it is one of life's greatest gifts when all of that new passion, excitement & giddy new love has years to marinate, be worked on & fine tuned, honed, tested and it turns into something even more wonderful,satisfying and lasting.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well said, Jen! Happy Birthday, Mr. Truly Wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy belated birthday to your honey!! Such a beautiful post!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's so nice to read this post and I wish the young people who are so quick to call it quits had your attitude! Happy Belated Birthday to your hubby!

    I love your new blog banner, Jen!

    ReplyDelete
  18. reading this made me smile! happy (though belated) birthday wishes to your sweetheart!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a lovely post! Happy birthday to your love! Wishing him a year filled with happy possibilities!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a lovely post! Happy birthday to your love! Wishing him a year filled with happy possibilities!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Truely beautifully said! This is exactly how I feel about my hubs! X

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a sweet tribute to your amazing husband!! I hope he had a wonderful birthday.

    ~Shanon

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a note. It's always so appreciated.