February 27, 2015

One of Those Weeks



It's been one of those weeks. My hands and brain don't seem to be working properly and they certainly aren't cooperating with one another. I've been clumsier than usual, dropping and breaking things all week. This is nothing short of bad timing as I am smack in the middle of birthday party prep, as well as tax preparation. It's not ideal to be unable to concentrate while preparing taxes. Also, I hate every single thing about doing the taxes with the single exception of the refund that lands in my account a couple of weeks later. Did I mention that my last job was working for a big 5 financial firm? It was the worst of times, it was the worst of times. I'm not sure, but there may be a correlation. The words tax season still send me into the fetal position.


Emma is having a vintage European themed tea party for her birthday next Saturday. I get so excited to put these parties together and I love how excited her friends get about coming. I secretly hope that they will be inspired to throw pretty parties when they grow up. I'm going to have to find a way to keep planning parties once my nest is empty.


Em loves to give her friends a favorite book as a party favor. and this year I found plain little canvas totes for goody bags and added a fabric ruffle to them. If you don't have a ruffler foot for your sewing machine I recommend you buy one. And then immediately after that I recommend you watch a video on youtube to figure out how to attach it and use it. After you've used it a few times you will wonder how you ever ruffled without it.



In staying true to the theme of the week, I woke up to find my beloved wood box that previously hung on my studio wall, laying on the floor with it's contents spilled all over the floor. Apparently that last journal I put in it was the final straw. That turned out to be a much smaller deal than later in the morning when I set myself on fire. Literally. Here's your lesson for the day, DO NOT reach over the gas stove when you notice the clock needs to be cleaned. Just don't. Luckily my Sweet Man was working from home and put the flames out. Sadly I had only worn that new shirt from Anthro once. In other news, I may be in need of a new white cardigan as well.


I still have a bit of birthday prep to do this weekend but I'm unusually organized so I'm feeling good about it. Hopefully I can finish it without injuring myself or anyone else. I'll be honest, I'm feeling a little nervous about cooking dinner tonight! ;)


Hope your weekend is cozy and creative. Or better yet warm and lazy. I'm longing for one of those kind of days.

22 comments:

  1. Poor you! Your enthusiasm is so sweet; you are such a great mom. Have a wonderful and SAFE weekend ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear! Could you be trying to do too much? I get so clumsy and accident prone when my schedule fills up. I think it comes from thinking of the rest of the things you need to do while trying to do the task at hand. That fire incident could have been tragic, I'm glad only an article of clothing was lost! On the other hand, I can see that the party is going to be spectacular. The tea things are sooo pretty and the bags and treats are adorable. Have a good weekend, (and stay out of the kitchen if at all possible).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, setting yourself on fire is no small feat! Poor girl. No wonder you are traumatized state..and doing taxes always made me want to set myself on fire anyway.
    Happy birthday to your sweet daughter. My little Ria is 11 today and I still can't believe it. Hope you have a wonderful time...and.....please don't burn dinner! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope ypu didn't get burndt. I set a little girl's hair on fire. She actually leaned in to blow a candle out as I snapper a pic. She has this small strand of hair sticking out. I had it out in a minute and she wasn't hurt. I still get teased about all the time.
    The party sounds like fun.
    Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope ypu didn't get burndt. I set a little girl's hair on fire. She actually leaned in to blow a candle out as I snapper a pic. She has this small strand of hair sticking out. I had it out in a minute and she wasn't hurt. I still get teased about all the time.
    The party sounds like fun.
    Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you aren't burnt, but an Anthro shirt is a big loss since they're not cheap! We are kindred spirits in our mutual disdain for tax season by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh, you HAVE had quite a week! Here's to a weekend without fires, breakage or anything of the sort. Please (pretty please) share all of the details from Emma's party. I just love party details & a vintage European tea party (with books as favors!) sounds like my idea of heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It has been ONE of those weeks here, and I wish we had only dropped a few things. Have a blessed weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow -- what a week!! Am sure that means this next one will be perfect and everything will run smoothly! The party details sound fabulous -- what a lucky girl to have such a wonderful Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jen, Jen, Jen... what can I say! Thank God you are okay! I think you have used up all of your "bad luck" for the whole year, so all should be smooth sailing from now on! Emma's birthday party looks simply divine. If I lived closer, I would so have to invite myself over. :-) Looking forward to seeing the party pics. Hugs to Emma for her birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jen, you always make me smile, you always make me enjoy a simple Indiana life, you always make me love you even more then the previous post! Have a splendid week! Lori P.S More party pics please!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. for some reason i keep hearing alicia keyes sing "this girl is on fire..." :)!

    everything looks great! this will be a party that emma's friends talk about endlessly, be inspired by, have fun at and always remember. love giving a favorite book as a party favor. would love to know which books em chose!

    when your nest is empty, you will give gorgeous parties for your friends, wedding & baby showers for friends' children & your children's friends, holidays & just because. there are endless reasons to have a get-together.

    can't wait to see the birthday party pics!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my! I have to admire how you just keep going...LOL I hope you have no more mishaps. Love your birthday ideas. Your daughter is one lucky gal. :) Kit

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh dear. I hope you have a better week this week and manage to (1) not to harm yourself (2) finish your tax returns and (3) plan a gorgeous Vintage party. Giving a favourite book to guests at a party is a lovely idea. It sounds as if you're clumsy because you have too much on your plate at the moment! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Jen, I LOVE LOVE LOVE handmade vintage tea party's, they are the best & so much fun. Looking at your photos they are oozing so much handmade LoVe, great idea with the books as part of the goody bag. The beautiful vintage china gives it the perfect old fashion charm that it can't be anything else but amazing. LUCKY Emma. Enjoy every LITTLE moment of the party and please share some photos of the beautiful day with us.
    Anna x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Jen! I am glad you are alright! No party is worth burning yourself up over!! I never thought of giving books as a party favour- great idea! My daughter's party is coming up at the end of March and I think I may steal that idea!! Thanks.
    www.queenbcreativeme.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. 1. I wonder if I can get a ruffle foot for my 45 year old Bernina?

    2. BE CAREFUL!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Crazy week indeed Jen! BUT, in the midst of it you are able to find the ABUNDANT beauty in your days and that is SO inspiring! Your home and all your creative details are such an inspiration! I hope you have a delightful uneventful week!

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's always a joy to visit your blog just to see your pretty photos, Jen. Your daughter's party is going to be a party to remember with all the special goodies you're making for the guests! I don't have a ruffle attachment for my sewing machine, but I think I need to get one if there's one made for a 1979 Singer! Your little book bags are adorable!

    So sorry about your mishap with your gas stove! Of course you couldn't have been wearing an old beat up sweatshirt when it happened! Here's to a week with no accidents in your house!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Isn't it great to have a snow day after a terrible week?
    So sorry about your burnt shirt. Somehow I always forget to wear an apron and wind up with food splatter on the front of them...and never something like water, but usually something impossible like tomato sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yikes on the burn incident, Jen! I'm just glad you weren't hurt. I hear ya on the taxes - I wouldn't even know where to start! My hubby does them. Could your husband help you - or, could you take them to a tax preparer? The stress is just not worth it!

    Can I come to Emma's birthday party?! Seriously...that ruffled bag and a new book? It doesn't get any better than that. Oh, you can host girlfriend parties when you're an empty nester! That's what one friend of mine does. She hosts a girlfriend's dinner party at the change of every season. So much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ya know.... I've actually caught all kinds of things on fire because of having a gas stove, except myself, which is a miracle really. I'm a huge klutz! I'm glad you only damaged your shirt, but I understand why you're not happy about it, so I'm sorry.

    I hope dinner that night and the party went well :)

    xo,
    rue

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a note. It's always so appreciated.