April 20, 2015

Spring Joys


Sometimes small joys are the best. Like a wagon full of new perennials waiting to be planted even though I very likely jumped the gun on a deceptively warm spring day and there is a chance I will be running outside throwing sheets all over my flowers in the middle of the night sometime during the next few weeks. I've discovered that I have developed a gardening style. I buy all the stuff I love, bring it home and try to figure out where to put it. Then about a week later (although sometimes it's only hours later) I realize I should have put it somewhere else so I move it. It's called on-the-job-training and it has always been how I learn best.


On Friday afternoons I've started baking cookies to pass out to friends and neighbors from our front porch. This week it was the Gooey Butter Cookies I mentioned in this post. I try to limit it to one cookie a person but the truth is, if you park yourself on my porch for a couple of hours you will end up with as many cookies as you want and probably a cocktail. Certain friends know this about us and are already taking advantage. Certain friends might have ended up taking home a couple of our window screens that were in need of repair as a souvenir of their evening. Quid pro quo. My Man may have been a bit disappointed by how few cookies were left at the end of the evening but he was excited to mark repair window screens off his to do list. Plus, rumor is he's sleeping with the baker.


I'm so glad we tackled this porch project last year and even though it drained us emotionally, physically and financially to do it, I hope that we will get to enjoy it for many years to come. Now we're starting to forget what it looked like before and we love when people tell us it looks like it's always been this way. I'm looking forward to a long season of eating, drinking, visiting, reading, napping and dreaming in this space.


29 comments:

  1. I just finished typing up a blog post and thought I'd pop over to see what's new before getting on with my day and low and behold an invitation for cookies and a cocktail were waiting just for me. Friday's you say...

    ReplyDelete
  2. i might be ready to be your neighbor. i'm a big fan of cookies and cocktails. i mean cookies & cocktails with you on your porch might outweigh the whole "indiana" thing. maybe. i mean, maybe a summer home? like, for a trial run?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your writing combined with eyecandy photos just make me happy! So much sunshine on an already sunshiny day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your porch. So jealous. I totally understand how extra cookies could be consumed on that porch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love your wagon full of perennials and cookies passed out on the porch, just heavenly, you will get so much use out of your porch, i can just tell :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. OOh can you please move in next door. I can bake the cake if you bring the cookies - have you ever wanted to live in the UK?

    ReplyDelete
  8. always a joy to have a peek into your life in the village. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awwww....sure wish I was a porch sitter at your house. My daughter is soon on her way to your area. I think they are going to Carmel because there couldn't find anything that would work for them in your sweet town. Not too far though- Maybe I will get a chance to meet you after all!;>) xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now I really wish I was your neighbor! I would totally visit you EVERY Friday for a cookie and a cocktail or two! And my gardening methods are very similar to yours, the best way to learn! It is 80 degrees today in Portland - a perfect evening to enjoy our porch!
    xo~Jill

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've said it before & I'll say it again -- I totally wish that I lived in your hood! If I was there, would you take a bottle of wine in exchange for cookies & company on a Friday night??? Also, I'm in the same category of gardener as you -- I also just brought home a carload of plants that I have to figure out what to do with! They were all so pretty that I couldn't pass them up.

    ReplyDelete
  12. very inviting... every single bit of it!!! i SO wish that i lived in the village.. we'd make great neighbors : ) {and those cookies... i still haven't tried them but they're definitely on my list!} xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would love to sit on your porch and have cookies and a cocktail with you! I still have not made these cookies, though I have the recipe Pinned. I'm really, really trying to stay away from sugar as much as possible!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh how I wish I could come sit on your porch! I would offer to fix something too for cocktails and cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh how I wish I could come sit on your porch! I would offer to fix something too for cocktails and cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one that may have jumped the gun on new plants and cool Spring mornings. Cookies on the front porch sound lovely. : )

    ReplyDelete
  17. I want to be your neighbor! Have fun planting your pretty plants.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So inviting...both your home and porch. Sure wish I was your neighbor...Friday fresh baked cookies and a cocktail..lovely!
    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love this post and getting ready for spring here too! Wish I lived in your neighborhood and could stop by for a cookie or two or three! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. "He's sleeping with the baker" LOL I wish I could stop by for cookies and a cocktail.

    You plant a lot like I do ;)

    xo
    rue

    ReplyDelete
  21. I wish I lived closer. I'd be there very Friday! I'd bring cookies too. Then we could swap. It would make our husbands happy, too-- You give some, you get some! Hugs to you and yours!
    XOXO

    www.queenbcreativeme.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. My neighbor's love it when I bake. Steve doesn't have that much of a sweet tooth so any baking generally gets eaten by me. I have been seen walking door to door cutting slices of cake for anyone who will take a piece - no one turns down chocolate cake. But, recently one neighbor told me to please stop baking because he is trying to watch his weight!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh, how I wish I was one of those neighbors stopping by for a chat and a cookie! What a lovely way to spend Friday afternoons!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. That's so nice that your neighbor's took your screens to repair, because they loved your cookies. I love the ritual you created. I also love how you displayed your Anthro plates, though the top plate looks vintage similar to one I have. xoxo Su

    ReplyDelete
  25. So happy to be a part of your blogging neighborhood! Wouldn't it be lovely to live in a neighborhood with like minded neighbors and be able to stop on a walk and chat at a fence? Sit on your porch and share cookies and lemonade?

    ReplyDelete
  26. How dreamy this sounds! I wish I were closer :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a note. It's always so appreciated.