October 06, 2016

Keeping Up


It almost physically pains me that we are already 6 days into October. I don't know where the time is going. It has been 2? 3? weeks since I posted last. September was a blur which wasn't helped by a traveling husband but, fingers crossed, he is done for the year because jeez, I am just so over it.


I did make good use of the time while he was gone, doing creative projects, nesting, getting organized and decorating for Autumn. I'm loving my new planner and having a single place for all of my lists, notes and project ideas.


I just recently realized that my 10 year blogging anniversary is coming up on Oct 16th. I can't tell you what a shock that is. It's strange because in many ways it feels like I just started blogging, but on the other hand, I don't even recognize my life from 10 years ago. It has certainly been a decade of change for me. I plan to celebrate with a giveaway. More on that later!


The baby of the family is dipping her toe into being an entrepreneur. Last week she made a batch of fudge (her great, great grandmother's recipe) and took it to school to sell for a $1 a piece. She sold out very quickly, paid me for ingredients out of her earnings and still pocketed $12. She wanted money to buy a musical soundtrack and her success has encouraged her to make a double batch this weekend since there are more musical soundtracks on her wish list. She has quickly learned that a chocolate lover and his money are soon parted. I love her problem solving spirit and that she can use one of her loves to support another!


It is officially feeling like fall here in the Village, although we are in the middle of a little bout of Indian Summer, which I could do without. Fall will be back in full force Saturday and I plan to celebrate with a batch of butternut squash soup and homemade bread. This time of year always makes me think back to the time when we first fell in love with this Village.


I will never forget the feeling of absolute certainty that this was the place I was supposed to be. That has not wavered for a moment since that first day. Instead, it seems to grower stronger with time.


Our life isn't perfect, our home isn't perfect, but I am so thoroughly thankful for all of it. I was telling my Sweet Man last night that I often feel unworthy of my life.  I think, especially growing up the way I did, I never considered that things could be this good. I could never take any of it for granted, that's for sure.


I find that my awareness of how fortunate I am, is heightened on my Sacred Day. Yesterday was spent in the studio sorting through stacks and stacks of craft books, knitting, watching crafty podcasts and doing an embroidery project. Let me say, for the record, I am now officially a french knot expert. It only took me 25 years.


I will leave you with these (blurry) photos I got of our sneaky Millie stealing tomatoes out of the garden this morning. We knew that she's been doing it all summer but we had been unable to catch her in the act.


 I couldn't see her from the back door so I snuck out with my camera. Obviously her ears were so full of foliage that she didn't hear me come up behind her. Please ignore the chaotic mess that is our garden right now!


She couldn't quite get that juicy red tomato to the right of her from the previous angle so she changed her plan of attack. By now she knew I was out there but she was too fixated on the veg to stop what she was doing.


And then...success! In the past she has eaten green beans off the vine, jalapeños, eggplant and cucumbers right out of the garden. At this point, we have pretty much given up on having a garden.  The thing that amazes me is that she understands the difference between ripe and unripe and will leave them until they are ready. She is clearly smarter than we have given her credit for!

27 comments:

  1. Don't you have a wedding coming up soon? I took today as the first truly OFF day in months. I have played all day and it has been wonderful. Your Wednesdays have had me thinking...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, we don't. I'm so glad you are carving out some time for you! That is so wonderful!

      Delete
  2. We have a very smart Golden too. I am truly amazed at her thoughts sometimes. Part human I say! I am glad you are enjoyed your day. I am really trying to incorporate that as well. Not as successful as I would like, but I have found that my little sewing room is a haven for me and that I need to keep it in order for the remainder of the house to go that way too. I spent a little time tidying up in there this week, and today I actually accomplished project on my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so great, Sandy! And I think it just takes a little practice to make it a habit so keep at it!

      Delete
  3. What a smart dog! October is flying by for me as well. Though we have not had any fall looking days. This weekend I plan on heading to the mountains of NC for the day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A vegetarian dog! How funny! You've had your share of tragedy in your life, so you are definitely worthy of good fortune! Enjoy it. I love that your daughter is already an entrepreneur.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, kind Brenda. I know that's true but I just feel overwhelmed by the goodness sometimes.

      Delete
  5. She's eating healthy! What a funny dog....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just shared your pictures of Millie with my family and we are all in love with her cheekiness! :) Also, after seeing your post on Instagram about planners, I'm now sucked into decorating mine...it's too much fun! I'd love to see more pictures of yours either here or on Instagram.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll do a post on my planner very soon! I'm sure most won't be interested but those of us who are in to it will enjoy it!

      Delete
  7. Oh, sweet Millie! One of my pups eats any cherry tomatoes that fall to the ground, and any I will give him of course. I don't think he's graduated to plucking them himself just yet. But it wouldn't surprise me. That Millie also gets eggplant, cucumbers & jalapenos is too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a sucker for pretty planners...I already bought mine for 2017. Just a simple Lang one (I love Lang products - and I don't need a "fancy" planner) where you can color pictures in it. Love that your daughter is making fudge and selling it so that she can buy something she really wants. Smart young lady! I always love seeing pictures of your kitchen, too. So pretty. Hope this is not a silly question though - I noticed you don't have a range hood over your stove. How do you vent steam, grease and cooking smells, not to mention carbon dioxide from a gas stove?
    I had a good laugh seeing Millie stealing your tomatoes. I never knew a dog that ate tomatoes and other raw veggies straight from the garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of us in old houses don't have vents. We just open the window occasionally when necessary! And we have no problem at all with our gas stove but do have a detector right around outside the kitchen. Even when we had a hood in our old house we didn't turn it on every time we used the stove or oven. Only very occasionally and I never fry anything so we haven't had any issue although we will put one in when we do our big kitchen renovation!

      Delete
  9. Millie is so sweet and smart, too, eating her veggies fresh from the garden. We had a dog that loved to 'pick' strawberries from the garden. And our Springer Spaniel's favorite treat is baby carrots.

    New planners are so much fun and choosing one is something I spend way too much time on! It's hard to narrow down, but I have found a favorite that I can decorate myself.

    Enjoy your weekend, Jen.

    ReplyDelete
  10. millie's so precious .. katie our yellow labby girl (now resting in peace) would sneak tomatoes. only the ripe ones. ahem... smarty pants doggies for sure. our evelyn the english cream golden girl doesn't have a garden to sneak yummies from - she depends on me for snackies of romaine (the crunchy parts) and carrots.

    i love that you're teaching your youngest to be resourceful and earn those items she desires. good mama. :) and your kitchen. right here and now i'm swoOning. and i might be coveting a fair amount as well. really, i might.

    you're living my dream of living in a village community. and me? in some ways living vicariously through you until the hubs and i can do the same.

    you're worth every lovely moment of your beautiful (and imperfect in ways) life.

    blessings on your day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy upcoming 10 years of blogging. I hear you- time just moves us along and something will seem like it was yesterday and then again it will seem like it was 'forever' ago.
    I love how you love your village. My daughter would have loved it there, too, but she also likes Carmel and has found a church home there and loves the schools her kids are in. One of these days when I am visiting Mindy I am going to get in touch with you and try to meet you for coffee if it works.
    I hope you have a wonderful fall in your sweet village. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had no idea you have been blogging for so long, Jen. I feel like I've missed so much! For me it will be 8 years next month. I've enjoyed the writing experience and the journaling of my life. As much as it's a happy time with grandchildren in our lives, seeing my kids at an age which I feel was like yesterday for me, I feel a little melancholy. I have to remember to focus on now.

    Kudos to your daughter. Seems she might have an entrepreneur talent! And I love to see pics of your pretty kitchen!

    I miss my cross stitch and needlework. French knots were a huge accomplishment for me as I think I'm really not suited for handiwork or crafts. I need to pick it up again. My computer time takes up too much time and I can barely keep up with blogging, reading the news and flipping through Instagram. I miss the days of reading and doing pleasurable things like cross stitch, baking, and decorating. I write for a newspaper and taking a break from writing my blog closes off readership for those from the area the newspaper serves is not good at all.

    Wow...didn't mean to unload here! Happy Fall to you. Enjoy fall. And I have to laugh at Millie in your garden. My Milo begs at my side when I'm preparing vegetables at the counter. A true vegetarian if he were human!

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  13. congratulations on your 10 year blogiversary. That is incredible. I know what you mean about how quickly time flies tho -- we have to live in the present because it is fleeting. Your home is so beautiful - you certainly should be very proud of the happy, cozy environment you have created.

    ReplyDelete
  14. 10 years. Wow. Really where does the time go. I've probably been following you close to that long because both your girls were young then. Crazy. I just love your home. It is perfection even though it is not. I would cozy right up in there in an instant. Love seeing the planner photos. Keep them coming. I'll have to take a picture of mine. It's fun decorating them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats, Jen! I feel honored to have become friends with such a wonderful family over the years. I started following your blog when you moved into your rental house in the Village. I now feel like you're part of my family. Here's to the next ten years. May they be full of joy, happiness and new adventures!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your comment "awareness of how fortunate I am" really struck a note tonight. We saw the film Queen of Katwe tonight based on a true story of a Ugandan girl. The village reminded us of our Peace Corps days and how much our students didn't have.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just love that your daughter is making and selling fudge. You know if you go on a vacation trip anywhere there's always a fudge shop in the center of things. Your daughter has definitely hit on something that people love! Smart girl.

    I love your blog. It's my time in your pretty little cottage and thinking of village life. Sounds pretty sweet to me. 10 years is a long time and blogging has changed so much. In the past year or two I've tried to change with it but now I realize I'm old school and will scale back to the way things used to be. I love visiting each others homes and being online friends...the rest that I've tried to keep up with is beyond me. :)

    Enjoy your fall and your time with hubby. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your daughter is adorable. And I love your bright and cheery kitchen.

    Millie ~ so cute stealing veggies. Time to put a lil fence around it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am new to your blog, but love it so far! There's something very comforting and relatable to your photographs. Congrats on your 10 year blog anniversary coming up!

    -Lor
    acozyspace.org

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love reading your blog, Jen and wish I had found it earlier! Congratulations on your upcoming 10 years anniversary! Your daughter's idea for earning some money for things she really wants shows lots of initiative....knowing what and how to sell doesn't come naturally to everyone so she has a head start in business already! And seeing Millie stealing tomatoes...sooo funny!
    Wishing you happy autumn days in your lovely part of the world.
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete
  21. I Love this! My golden (who lived to be 14) would put her front paws and legs on the lowest branch of a pear tree and shake it and eat all that fell! It was so funny to watch!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Jen,
    10 years - Congratulations! That's something to be truly proud of...even though I only found you a couple of years ago I've gone back and read quite a bit here...and I just love coming here to read along and look at your beautiful photos!
    Such a smart girl selling fudge, there may be a new business venture on the horizon!
    Such cute photos of Millie...dogs are just so smart!
    Wishing you the happiest of weekends!
    Hugs, Kimberley

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a note. It's always so appreciated.