December 02, 2016

Making a List and Checking it Twice


It's a cloudy morning here and I don't mind a bit. I have candles lit, a pot of ham and beans simmering on the stove, Christmas music has been playing all morning, the downstairs is clean and tidy and I have plans to wrap some more Christmas presents, knit the heel of a sock and make a list of Christmas cookies I want to bake this season.


 We are recovering from last weeks festivities and a wonderful Thanksgiving in our tiny dining room crammed full of friends. It was just the very best of days and all the work that went into making it happen was so completely worth it. I can't tell you how many full heart moments I had that day.


The day after Thanksgiving we went to our favorite tree farm with the same friends who came for Thanksgiving. This tree farm is such a magical place and I love having it as part of our holiday traditions.


I love having all three of my beautiful girls there to help cut down a tree. These are the things we will always remember. I'm sure of it.


I had an email asking if I would share some ideas for Christmas wish lists for you guys. It's one of my favorite things to do. Since I was a little girl I have absolutely loved making my own wish list and since my birthday is 5 days before Christmas I get to make a double list. I have also always enjoyed hearing what other people have on their lists. Today I'm sharing some of my favorites, as well as some things I'm wishing for. I would LOVE for you to share what's on your list either by writing a blog post and leaving a comment and link or just commenting. By the way, none of these are affiliated links, I just really like sharing things I love with you guys!


I am so loving my Dark Aqua Filofax for organizing my life. I wish I had gotten one years ago. I've got this fountain pen on my wish list to go with it.



Pens and paper are always something I want more of. Lately I'm obsessed with Frixion pens which are great for writing as well as crafting. They are erasable gel pens that REALLY work and also disappear with heat for crafting. I love these and am hoping for some of these and these.


One of my favorite places for buying and receiving gifts is Anthropologie. I'm crazy about their candles and mugs in particular and they are actually two of the few things I will pay full price for in that store, although a good sale is always preferred! This is my favorite candle above. It's Fir and Firewood and you can buy it in this container and also in votive form. It may be considered a seasonal scent but I stock up and burn it all year especially in the studio where I consider it the official scent!


This is my newest mug and I'm so in love with it. It's worth the effort to hand wash. It happens to be sitting on top of one of my other new favorite things- Making Magazine Issue 2 Fauna. Honestly most of my wish list is crafting supplies and books. Those are the material things that make me happiest. Well, aside from stationery supplies and candles which I think we've already established!


Speaking of stationery...I'm really hoping Santa brings me this journal. Because I'm sure I need another journal. Or maybe I'm just sure I want another journal.


As for things I don't need more of but can't resist...These Champagne truffles are amazing and such a treat in our house. You can find them here but I find them occasionally at Homegoods where they are much more reasonably priced and only slightly splurgy. But amazing and worth it.


Jewelry is always a fun gift. I don't really need anything fancy but I love necklaces from Nest Pretty Things. I like to buy a couple of pieces from her with bithday/Christmas money every year. I'm waiting on a delivery of this and this.


I have so many books on my wish lists but here is a favorite decorating book and crafting book I am hoping for. There is just really nothing like the joy of a new book and the gift of time to read it.


Aside from that I just have so many crafting supplies on my list: markers, watercolor paints, a yarn swift and winder, interchangeable needles and book upon book about sock knitting. I have a problem.


If you are thinking about gifts that teach you something, you could ask for a year of Creative Bug classes (I'm loving my subscription) or maybe a photography class from Kim Klaassen. I think I'm going to use some Christmas money to sign up for her Be Still Fifty Two class which I have a feeling is going to teach me more than photography and re-center me. And I really need to be re-centered.


We all know life isn't about the stuff but who doesn't love the occasional pretty trinket? I also know we all have different budgets so I tried to find things for every price range. Our budget is but a fraction of what many people spend but it has never bothered me. I do believe that when I have less to spend, I tend to put more thought into it and to this day, my girl's favorite gift every year is the one I make them. 

I'm off to fix some tea and make something lovely. I hope you have a weekend full of holiday happiness.  

26 comments:

  1. I always get a nice surprise when I pop over to see your latest post! Happy Early Birthday, Merry Christmas to you, too!
    I enjoyed seeing your photos and hearing all about the tree farm, with your girls and your friends!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You always manage to inspire me! Your positive attitude about "enjoying the simple life" really speaks to me. Happy Holidays!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have some wonderfully creative things on your wish list! Again...inspiring. I don't have a wish list this year, with the exception that 2017 we move into our dream home and I can feel settled again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your list! My girl's birthday is also 5 days before Christmas! Obviously, special people were born on December 20th! This year my list includes Baker's mint chocolates - made here in Nebraska, just outside Lincoln and simply divine! I try to have one (or more) every day, so really need to replenish my supply! Thanks for your comment on my blog. My Maddy and I have had so much fun with sewing for the craft fair and every single time, I've been sitting at that machine going, I smile and think of my sweet wonderful Mom! Making wonderful memories for sure! Happy Weekend to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I love when you do your wish list! It one of the things I love reading each year. I'll have to look into those books. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love all those gorgeous vintage ornaments- reminds me of our childhood tree!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved seeing your Christmas wish list and some of the pretty things you're crushing on!I've purchased books based on ones I've seen on your blog before, so can I consider you an enabler? ;-) I'm going to check out Fine Little Day on amazon. I honestly don't have much on my wish list...a few books (umm, I just bought two of them myself because I had B&N coupons) and maybe a gift card to Ann Taylor Loft so I can buy a couple of tops.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am feeling even more festive after reading this and looking at your pretty photographs. We will be putting up the tree and decs next weekend, though that seems an age away. The setting for your choosing a Christmas tree looks dreamy, and slightly more romantic than ours - a lone remote farm with a one-eyed grunting farmer who seems reluctant to sell any Christmas trees. But they are a great price, and good trees so we will brave him again! I have a kaweco fountain pen in mint, and love it. Definitely worthy of a Christmas list

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That gave me quite the good giggle this morning! Thanks for the confirmation on the fountain pen. I have a feeling that if I don't get it for Christmas, it may find it's way to me anyway! ;)

      Delete
  9. I enjoyed looking at everything on your wish list but I feel in love with your metal Christmas card tree in the very first photo. Is that vintage or something new?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sara,
      It is actually new. I found mine at a local boutique. Maybe you can find one online! Maybe search for wire christmas tree? Good luck!

      Jen

      Delete
  10. Hi Jen, am loving the white wreath pillow with the tiny pom poms- can you share your source? Happy Birthday and Merry Christmas.Tracy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry, Tracy. It was a gift and I have no clue where it came from. I looked at the tag and there is no identifying information.

      Delete
  11. I love your list, but can you tell me how your make ham and beans? I was just thinking about it last night as I was making chicken soup. I have never made ham and beans, but I've been craving it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your list Jen...I am a sucker for books, paper and any kind of writing instrument! ;)
    Anthropologie is one of my favorite stores...I love going in there just to look at their displays!
    Sounds like you had a wonderful Thanksgiving with family and friends! And the 'magic' of the visit to the tree farm shines through in your photos...such an amazing way to make happy memories!
    Those truffles are amazing! :)
    I'm off to check the Be Still Fifty Two class now!
    Wishing you a wonderful rest of your week! Hugs, Kimberley

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for responding to my email and creating this idea list! Never heard of Frixion before, off to go check that out. I have a pen problem. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. So many wonderful gift ideas! Enjoy this wonderful season. And personally, I would love that big red truck!...LOL Kit

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful wish list.....some things on it will be going on mine now! Your pictures are beautiful and full of festive atmosphere.
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this! I clicked over to so many of the links and now my wish list is a few items longer. I love all of the paper products, and have been looking for the perfect candle.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your list. And you know what else I love? The fact that I saw that anthro mug online last night and my first thought was that it was just perfect for you. :) (I love the navy one in the set!)

    ReplyDelete
  18. II've gotten a few ideas from your list.

    I love that last photo with the sweet vintage ornaments.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I want everything on your list. Plus a wedding planner. And a pony:). Hope you are having a beautiful and Cottage Nest perfect holiday season!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a note. It's always so appreciated.