November 22, 2017

Giving Thanks


I have more to be thankful for this year than ever before. My list of blessings is too long to list here but I did want to take a minute to thank all of you. Truly and sincerely I thank you from the bottom of my heart. To each of you that sent me well wishes, cards, emails, gifts, prayers, positivity, good thoughts and encouragement this past year, you will never know just what it meant to me.


I have so often felt held up by those around me this year and I feel such gratitude for you. It seemed every day that I needed it, one of you showed up for me in some way. It's something I feel like I can never repay and that has been a little bit of a struggle to come to terms with because I never like to feel like I owe someone. But I do and there is a lesson to be learned there. I will add it to the list of lessons that have needed to be learned this year.


Today I spent the day doing the bulk of the preparation for our Thanksgiving meal. I had been feeling a little overwhelmed by the idea of all the work but once I stepped into that kitchen with my lists, schedule and recipes, I felt completely at peace. I was surrounded by the smells of the holiday, Christmas music playing and the memories of so many Thanksgiving that have come before this one and I loved every minute of this day. I never understood why my mom was such a fan of Thanksgiving, but I think I finally understand. There is something about putting so much love into a meal for the people you care about, something about the traditions and the memories that combine and bring a warmth and connection to the past, as well as the present.


So my work is done for the day and I have settled in with a cat on my lap and my knitting. I'm tired but content and happy to have lived this day. I leave you today with my thanks and the hope that you know you made a difference for me. You've made my life richer. I hope you enjoy a lovely day tomorrow whether you are eating turkey or not and I hope you know that you are someone to be thankful for.
SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave

13 comments:

  1. Thank you for all you share here. It is always a warm and welcoming spot to visit. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so absolutely lovable, Jen. You deserve all of the love and prayers, never doubt that. I love that you are finding joy and strength in being in your kitchen, I have always found that to be my own peace.

    Love to you, and Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jen,

    I have been a long time follower of your blog, but not being a blogger myself, I’m not sure I have ever commented before. On this day of Thanksgiving, I must tell you that I am thankful for you and your words. I have recently been diagnosed with breast cancer and my surgery is scheduled for tomorrow. I know I do not need to tell you all of the emotions that are involved. After my diagnosis, I went back and read your posts. They bring me hope and comfort. I wish you and your family the happiest Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan,
      Goodness, I've been through it yet words fail me in this moment. Please email me at thecottagenest@gmail.com. I'd be honored to help support you through this.

      xo,
      Jen

      Delete
  5. happiest of thanksgivings to you ... ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. You give of yourself in your blog posts, and that is more than enough. Happy Thanksgiving!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so very sweet, Jen, and we are thankful to have you as a friend!

    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you had a lovely Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So thankful for you too sweetie! Your Thanksgiving prep sounded perfect and the traditions we follow are such a comfort. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So happy Jen that you are feeling better and taking care of yourself. Life is short and each of must learn to take care of ourselves and not feel guilty about it. Enjoy each day and enjoy knitting socks when you feel up to it. Sending you ((((((hugs)))))).

    ReplyDelete
  11. So happy to read this sweet post. I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving and enjoy the countdown to Christmas.. so glad you are feeling better lovely lady xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hope you are feeling well and had the merriest of Christmases! Best wishes for a happy 2018!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a note. It's always so appreciated.