November 17, 2017

Storybook Cottage


Once upon a time (well actually less than 3 weeks ago), in a town not so far away, a husband and wife ran away to a cozy cottage in the woods to celebrate their 17 1/2 anniversary (because who wouldn't want to celebrate being half way to 35) on the same day they were celebrating the 4 month anniversary of surviving the hardest day of all of their years together.























Beautiful, right? At the time of our trip I was feeling so burnt out. We were in the midst of the busiest month we've had in some time, with a kitchen DIY project, getting the house ready for a 10 day visit from a foreign exchange student from France and my Sweet Man having to travel 3 of the 4 weeks of the month. I was physically and emotionally drained. I was depleted. This time away helped get me to the finish line and rejuvenated my spirit as well as my creativity.




The weekend was perfect from beginning to end. A cozy cottage, perfect chilly autumnal weather, good shopping and amazing southern food. We celebrated our anniversary with a dinner at a tiny restaurant that had just opened, where we brought our own wine, met the chef, enjoyed the best meal of our lives and sat next to a soap opera actress I grew up watching on Days of Our Lives.



I love spending time with this man. We have a ridiculous amount of fun together. There is something about getting away from the daily grind and responsibilities of life that really agrees with me. I become someone else. Her name is Vacation Jen and her arrival is much anticipated. Seriously, she's a legend. ;) This was only our third getaway since we got married. We are on the precipice of being empty nesters and we get so excited talking about the travel and experiences ahead. I'm so happy to be sharing this life with my guy and looking forward to new adventures with the one I love best.
SaveSaveSaveSave

12 comments:

  1. Jen, that looks like a wonderful place to get away. I love the diamond pattern floor. Good to have the great guy, who knows just what you need. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. gracious sakes - what a sweet place.
    and a sweet couple needing sweet snuggle
    time in a lovely location.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful getaway for you two! So lovely! Happy weekend sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw your anniversary posts on IG - even better to see more photos and hear about the trip on your blog! So glad you had a wonderful time. I know what you mean about not having many getaways. Brian and I are in the same boat. We haven't had a vacation in over eight years. Though we have had overnight getaways for our anniversaries and we do take little day trips.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my word! What a lovely cottage. And so glad you had such an incredible time. Keep taking time for each other. :) Kit

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so happy that you made the time for a getaway and that it turned out to be a beautiful time.

    Don't wait for celebrations-make them happen whenever you feel like it!

    Have a great Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perfect. And such a beautiful reason to celebrate...

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG I want to live in that cottage! Who was the Days actor?? My guilty pleasure :) Congratulations ... your journey has not been easy. For me, also going through a difficult time, your handling of your situation is nothing short of inspirational. What a beautiful weekend it must have been!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I'm just now replying to this. Hope you see it! It was Jennifer Horton- Melissa Reeves! I absolutely couldn't believe it. So completely random!

      Delete
  9. What a terrific getaway!! We are sneaking off for a night on Sunday and I am so looking forward to it! Happy Thanksgiving to you all, Jen!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a note. It's always so appreciated.