February 21, 2018

A Study in Contrasts


Yesterday was a day that neared perfection, if you leave out the part where Clover tried to dig up my yard and flowerbeds. We were the beneficiaries of a beautiful, sunny, breezy 70 degree day. I spent most of the day outside swinging, knitting, playing, gardening and walking the pup. I wore flip flops and not so much as a sweater all day. Walking through the green space directly behind our house, puppy hopping around chasing leaves blowing in the wind, I lifted my face to the sun shining down through the bare trees, closed my eyes and soaked up the unexpected joy of feeling that warmth on my skin, the rain swollen river rushing by, the birds singing as loudly as they could. It was one of those perfect moments in time that you hope you can etch into your memory for always. I went home, opened the windows, stripped the damp bedding from the porch day bed, dressed it with a fresh quilt, threw open the curtains and read a few pages of a magazine. Glorious. Dinner was eaten on the front porch with my sweetie, visiting with neighbors and trying to make the day last as long as possible because I knew today would bring a day of rain and temperatures in the 30's.


Before I fell asleep, in a house that was slightly too warm to be comfortable but refusing to turn on air conditioning in February, I felt slightly antagonistic about the day to come. It seemed unfair to get that little tease of spring and then get plunged back to reality the next day. The truth is that without the contrasts we can't really appreciate either day and there is beauty to be found in both extremes.


This morning I woke up early to the sound of heavy rain. I curled up in bed and read and cuddled my kitty for a little while before getting up to start the day. I decided it was a good morning to make the carpool run in pajamas since there was no dog walking in my immediate future. Now I sit in the studio having just finished my tea and chocolate croissant and having just knitted a few rows on my large, cozy shawl that was too warm to knit on yesterday. I have Sam Cooke playing in the background, Emma's cat who is trying desperately to become my lap cat after almost 7 years of disdain for me, warming my legs, candles burning, fairy lights on as I alternate preparing for my next knitting project, putting fabrics together for a sewing project and reading. A slow, quiet day that can be savored and lived intentionally.


It is then that the truth occurs to me. I like this day every bit as much as I liked yesterday. Sometimes we need to lift our face up to the rain as much as the sun.


13 comments:

  1. We have not had one of those teaser days in northern IL yet! It was 55 here yesterday (which still sounds glorious, doesn't it?) BUT we had non-stop gloom, high winds and rain all day. I opened the windows for about 5 minutes just to let all the stale air out. Now today is still gloomy here and only 27 degrees. I can only hope that March possibly brings some sunshine and maybe a day or two (or three...please!) in the 60's. :-) I have to say that this winter hasn't been too bad, but I am finally starting to climb the walls and am itching to be outside in my gardens, planting, puttering, weeding, patio sitting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen,

    Our weather in PA us the same, only today was 80 and the rain and cool down is starting now. I feel exactly as you do about the contrast. I loved the break and was able to sit outside, but will also enjoy being wrapped up back inside. By the way, Clover cannot be any cuter.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen, your outlook on life truly inspires me. I love your posts. :) Have a great rest of your day! Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sam Cooke should be listened to every day. Oh my that voice, so full of emotion.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  5. We too are having a spring like few days, though not as warm as yours ( 70* is high summer here ) Cold frosty mornings, then the sun comes around and it's just high enough to bask in is warmth and light sitting inside with the patio doors open. As you say, each day holds it's own delights x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Intentional living.....I need more of that. It sounds like you enjoyed your day, beginning with your delicious breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You’re a wise woman to be grateful. Both days were perfect in their own way. I love days filled with doing exactly what I want at my pace. Gail

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a lovely post. We have had days and days and days of rain. It kept me inside, but I was able to get some projects checked off the list. Today the sun just popped out from behind the clouds.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautifully written, and oh so true... I do like these rainy, snug days though I am so wanting a warm sunny spring day now. Sadly no snug for us on these cold days as the heating has broken... it may have to be another day around the wood burner with a woolly make!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great post! I found myself so jealous to hear about 70 degree temps and sunny skies as I am waiting and waiting, not so patiently, for spring to start in Nebraska. So sweet that you are also able to enjoy a rainy day too! Have a great weekend sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved every bit of your post! Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your posts always lift me, Jennifer. You remind me to slow down, look around, find joy in the simple things. While I've been dealing with illness, decisions, and pedaling as fast as I can, it's reassuring to know there are people who indeed find happiness and contentment in small things...knitting, a sweet croissant, a fair weathered friend of a cat. :)

    I hope you have warm days soon to walk Clover. The area you live near is a nature walker's paradise. I do my best thinking in places like that.

    Hugs,

    Jane

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a note. It's always so appreciated.