February 25, 2018

Sunday Afternoon


Here in the studio I sit, the cat who could barely tolerate me for all of her life, pawing at my legs to move the laptop and let her up in it's stead. More than likely what she really wants is for me to move so she can have my spot. I would be embarrassed to admit to you how often her endeavor is successful. But not today. It is a Sunday afternoon, the tail end of a weekend that felt productive. I think I am finally, slowly, maybe finding my pace. I would be very happy to have that be the case.


Last week was a week of finishing things: a book, a magazine, a pair of socks, a shawl, the filing for the last 2+ years. It feels so good to finish but for some reason I don't seem to be very good at it. I am very good at starting. At doing. My finishing seems to take more concentration and effort than I can sustain, most days, but always gives me the best feelings of accomplishment.


Spring truly is settling in here in the Village. Those walks with Clover have become much more pleasant although there have been a few days when the downpours make it a challenge. I will actually miss walking her in the snow, though not single digit temperatures. Behind our cottage there is a public green space with a path that leads through woods, alongside a small river. It is one of the most peaceful places I've ever been. I'll be walking along the part of the path that is wide open, surrounded by tall grasses and flowers (or what last summer was tall grasses and flowers) and as soon as I walk under that canopy of trees, I feel a shift in myself, and then as I keep walking I get my first view of the water... JOY! A peace that can only be found for me, in nature perhaps.


See?


Zen, isn't it?


I'm looking forward to the week ahead. This weekend I got a head start which has me feeling ready to tackle some spring cleaning, sewing, casting on a new knitting project, getting moreyoga into my daily schedule and spending some quality time with a book.



9 comments:

  1. It is always wonderful when we finish some projects and even more wonderful when we find that we have 'hit our stride' and found that sweet spot where we accomplish things but are not overwhelmed by them. I find that comes and goes in my life depending on what is happening.

    That water is just lovely. I always fine peace and solace by the water-it quiets me. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your writing is like poetry. I, too, hope to get started on things that make me feel fulfilled and peaceful, ;)

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful place to walk and so close to your home! I have several projects in the works, but I set them aside a few days ago because we had company, and it is hard to get started again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This makes me think I might need a puppy to force me to get out of the house! I've been in major hunker down mode this winter, but can't wait for the weather to break and the ice to disappear and spring walking weather to arrive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know what you mean about finishing! I love starting new projects, go at them full tilt, then, when they're almost complete, they get set aside in favour of something else!! I'm almost, just the neckband, finishing a slipover and I'm determined to do it before I touch another ball of yarn or piece of fabric!! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes, also embarrassed to admit just how many times I move over for Miss Ethel the kit. Seems easier somehow than trying to ignore the constant batting of a little paw... I am looking forward to Spring as I feel (misguidedly) that I will become oh so organised once spring and sun appear. But this week is full of sub zero temperatures and snow, so I suppose my organised self will just have to wait!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to hear things are settling down a bit for you and that you're getting things done! I'm very good at starting things, too ~ but have trouble finishing. Sometimes I think it's because there's too much going on...there's so many things to start!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It does look so peaceful and lovely by the water!! Finally, it seems like spring may be coming to Nebraska, but I don't want to say too much and jinx it! I need to finish so many things. Will try and follow your good example! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds so good! I always feel so content when I can get little things around my home. Sunny here but still cold. 😎 Kit

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a note. It's always so appreciated.