October 17, 2018

Contentment


 Autumn. There are few things that make me as happy as this season. This is likely because cozy things are my favorite things. Before the word hygge made it's way to mainstream America, I was living that lifestyle. I just never knew there was a word for it. Apparently my Scandinavian roots run deeper than I realized. I am never happier than when I am cuddled into a corner of my sectional with some mellow music, candles lit, a stack of books, my knitting and a cat by my side on a dreary day.


I know this weather isn't for everyone but I do think it's important to find things that make you happy in every season. As for me, I'm filled with deep contentment at this time of year. Long walks in the crunching leaves, wooded paths, crackling fires, big bowls of homemade soup with freshly baked crusty bread and wrapping up in cozy throws and sitting on the porch. These are a few of my favorite things.


I also love the time change. I count down the days until it's acceptable to be in my pajamas at 5pm. Otherwise you will find my in my fuzzy joggers and big, fluffy sweaters pretending that I'm not really wearing a slightly more acceptable version of pjs. I am thankful for whoever came up with the concept of lounge clothes. Just bless you.


I always tease that my Sweet Man loves me more in Autumn but there is really something to it. I'm not sure why the drop in temperature should usher in such feelings of happiness and comfort. I don't know why suddenly all the things that have been driving me crazy about my house, things I've been longing to change, suddenly seem quite fine just the way they are. I'd much rather curl up with a steaming mug of tea and a good book than paint a room.


Whatever the reasons, I'm as thankful for the change in my outlook as I am the change in the weather. I look forward to embracing all the best things about this next season.


17 comments:

  1. So funny...I love the time change for the exact same reason. Birds of a feather...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps we are kindred spirits... I love this time of ear and said a very similar thing to my friend lately. It's a comforting time of year

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too love autumn best. After the heatwave of this summer it's so welcome. The mornings start cold and crisp, the sun comes up and the days are still warm, then the sun goes down and the sky is so clear and bright with moon and stars, I love it! I've also taught myself to crochet this summer and I made a small granny blanket and how wonderful it is to snuggle under it of a cool, dark evening with my hubby. Happy days, Jane :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love fall as well. We have the most glorious sunrises this time of year. And watching the colors slowly change is amazing. We just had our first fire in our outdoor pit and it was heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love fall also, even though down here in s.e. FL I don't get to enjoy all of the wonderful things you describe in your post. Temps and humidity do drop though, and hurricane season will soon be over. Gardens perk up after suffering through summers brutal weather. I like the angle of the sun, birds singing, seeing hummingbirds, colors and scents abound and I am thankful.

    I love seeing your different needlework threads, yarns, projects.

    Happy Fall ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  6. Autumn is my favorite season, too. Such comfort and contentment. Here in Mississippi we have had a couple of days in the sixties. We still keep getting some warmer days, but I hang on and enjoy the cooler ones.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yes, love autumn and last night walking the dog, I shuffled through and kicked up some leaves and thought how I love this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love everything about autumn. I wish it lasted a little longer, but savor each day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh do I hear ya! A lot of people grouse about it getting dark at 4, but I love it. It just means my little lites come on sooner and cozy time is upon me. So for the next 6 months, I am going to be very cozy! Enjoy! Kit

    ReplyDelete
  10. Autumn is my favorite season too--it's snuggling/nesting/cozy time of year. Summer gets to frantic and towards the end my nerves are just frayed with the busy-ness and heat. Maybe that's why I appreciate Fall so much.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm the total opposite...I love summer and lots of sun and it not getting dark until 8-9 pm. Fall is rather depressing for me, because this is when my son, my father, my grandpa and my mother-in-law all passed away...but also I don't like the cold weather (even worse for me when it's dreary or raining), nor the long, dark nights with the time change. I feel like I have no energy and could fall asleep by 7! Oh well, I know we're all different.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh yes, you have worded my thoughts so perfectly... Happy, cosy Autumn days!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was thinking about the time change this morning when I heard the school bus running through the neighborhood and it was still dark...poor little kiddos! I'm feeling cozy reading your post. I'm ready!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Autumn is my favorite time of year and we don't have it here, I miss it so much. Just as you described it all so beautifully. Enjoy every minute.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm the very same, I long for those cozy nights at home, cuddled up under a throw next to a warm fire with a movie or a good book. My body needs evenings like that to recharge....and I don't think I could actually live in a climate without 4 seasons, of course I say that now at this age....talk to me again in 30 years!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh I sooooooo love reading your posts! xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a note. It's always so appreciated.