February 19, 2019

Studio Tour

At the end of December I was suddenly overcome with the need to revamp my studio. This comes after spending a lot of time thinking about what my next chapter looks like. One thing I know for sure is that it will be centered around this room. I really wanted to make sure this space encouraged my creativity by being a little less busy. I love the results. It began with a coat of white paint, which felt oddly scary to a girl who has always had color on her walls.


As you look in the door, this is your view. One of the most important projects was making this sewing table (pictured in it's before state below) truly functional. Since I was not able to pull a chair under it, sewing was an ergonomic nightmare and not something I was particularly excited to spend time doing. Luckily I'm married to a very handy guy who was able to turn it into the sewing table of my dreams.


My sewing machine now easily fits underneath and he made two levels of shelves to hold these baskets perfectly. I painted it with milk paint in the color Aviary and used an old vintage linen sheet to make a skirt to hide the shelves but show off the legs. However, the very best part is that I can now pull my chair under the table and as a bonus, parking it there when I'm not sitting in it has given me so much more space behind my work area.


My collection of journals hanging out in an antique chicken feeder.


Having access to my supplies right behind my work tables makes the projects flow easier. The shelves on top got a new coat of pale grey paint and the cubby shelves below got new paper backing.


My old aqua cart wasn't working with the room now so it will get used elsewhere and this new blue one fits in perfectly.


To the right of the door is the hardworking closet that my Sweet Man made for me several years ago and it holds the craft trolley/cutting table/extra work space that he made for me more recently. I'm a very lucky girl and I know it.


I look forward to the day when we get our built-in bookshelves made so that I don't have to store these books here anymore but it's working fine for now.


All my pretty papers found a new home in this basket I already had. I have a real weakness for pretty storage and you will find many jars with leftover balls of yarn dotted around the room.


The hutch which is to the right of the work tables, is where most of my yarn stash lives. It got a little upgrade with a new paper backing that matches the cubbies shown above. I could sit and stare at this all day.


Switching out the floral curtains made a huge difference. I still love that fabric but I wanted something quieter. I can't tell you how I fought with the linen fabric for these curtains. I'm not proud of the number of swear words I said during my attempts to make them. My friend Melissa, who is an amazing seamstress, came and spent an entire weekend making it right. I am grateful for her every time I look at them.


Just in case you too enjoy ogling pretty yarn.



My favorite spot in the room is this corner, tucked in just to the left when you walk in the door. It is where I start my day every morning with my tea and knitting. In the last 6 months I have gotten in the habit of getting up a couple of hours before we need to leave for the school run so that I may have a quiet, peaceful start to my day, curled up in that chair.


 Even in summer, this little fireplace lights up my days.


This wall got reworked and quieted. I believe having a cleaner slate really helps my brain not to get overwhelmed. I love having this antique bakery box to use for a revolving creative or seasonal display. The hook and hangers to the right are to hold current/newly finished knitting projects. My in progress sweater is hanging there right now.



But seriously, these curtains!!


I have always enjoyed my creative spaces but I think there is something particularly special about this one. I love that it feels like I've gone back to my Swedish roots. I love coming in here and struggle to make myself leave. I know it is the perfect way to transition into the next stage of my life.

21 comments:

  1. I just love this all so much and am inspired, your yarn stash is fantastic and i really love the curtains, so so pretty all of it! What a wonderful place to begin your day in :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Jen, I don't know how you could ever leave that space, what a cozy place to spend your days!!! Love the new look....of course I loved the old look too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's SO beautiful and calming. The perfect place for your lovely projects to come to life!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love is SO much, my friend!! what a peaceful spot. and it looks like it will be cozy in the cold months, and cool and calming in the hot. can't wait to see it my own own, real eyes! i'm actually getting ready to tear my room apart, too ... can't wait! it's only been 7.5 years ... time to kick out harp and take over the room for real! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am just smiling so big right now,Jen. What a perfect place to start your day-and spend the day for that matter. I find I work much better when I have an orderly place to work in and it really does take work to keep a work area orderly...did I work the word work in there enough times? lol

    I hope you have a wonderful "next step" in your journey that starts right there and that you share some of your wonderful creations with us. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your updated space! The curtains are perfect. I can see you starting your day in that comfy chair...I would, too! Great spot to sip your tea or coffee and daydream or do some light reading.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like the perfect spot to start many a wonderful day... you have made a dreamy space

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your studio is gorgeous! It's looks so calming to the mind. I could seriously live in there. I don't have enough stuff for a studio. I have one knitting bag with my current work and yarn in it and that's all. I'm crocheting another blanket. I can't deal with clutter and having more than one thing on the go as my mind struggles with it; I can only focus on one thing at a time. I wish I were more creative though. Best, Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful & inspiring room! It looks perfectly Jen.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can just imagine how wonderful it feels to sit in the chair in the morning. Amazing creations are going to be coming out of that studio!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this so much, JJ! I've been feeling the need for calmer surroundings lately, too. This is just gorgeous. I have always loved your colorful studio palette, and I think you've really found the perfect balance of color and serene. As always, I'm in awe of your creative mind and everything that comes from it! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the cubbies. Someday I want a craft room with that kind of cubbie shelving all over. Right now I have just a few, thanks to IKEA. I have one project in each cubby.... Some day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful room you have created. I could spend hours just looking at all your "stuff." Thank goodness for your talented and helpful husband and friend. I LOVE those curtains!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your studio is a most beautiful room. Everything you have done has enhanced the feeling of peace and tranquility. Love those gorgeous curtains and the beautiful sofa. That little corner is a delightful spot in which to dream, read and create your beautiful pretties.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is wonderful and so you! Enjoy your special space. :) Kit

    ReplyDelete
  16. Absolutely beautiful! It looks like a space you will enjoy for many years.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's so beautiful! You are so talented! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Jen, your studio has a quiet beauty to it. I can actually picture you in your comfy chair every morning, sipping your tea while literally soaking in the peace and quiet of being in the moment. Have I told you lately what an inspiration you are? Love ya girl.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such a wonderful peaceful room! Love the look. Your chair and fireplace are a dream to sit at in the morning I am sure :o) Thank you for the inspiration. I am working on my room right now - but it will not be as lovely as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  20. So cozy! I just love it. I'm definitely embracing my Scandinavian roots these days, too, though I still have a weak spot for aqua and lovely shades of green. May you have many creative, peaceful, and happy moments in your creative space!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a note. It's always so appreciated.