January 27, 2010

Odd Collections

Lately I find myself collecting odd things. Things that normal people probably wouldn't consider bringing home. Maybe that's why I'm drawn to them. I was inspired to find this lard tin (yes, you read that right, lard.tin.) after seeing one on Karen Russell's blog. I fell in love with her entire studio but there was something about that danged lard tin that I couldn't get out of my mind. Weird, I know.

I guess I suffer from Orphan Syndrome. I just feel the need to give things a home that might not otherwise have one. Lonely things that seem to have lost their other parts are particularly attractive to me. Go ahead and analyze away Freud. I found these clock hands at the flea market last week for .10 each. By the way, you know you are focused on a financial goal when you go to the flea market and only spend $10. 

 
This is a clock face I recently found. I was unable to resist that aqua 6 right there. You understand, right? There were actually other numbers on there too but within hours of buying it I dropped it and all of the other numbers fell off. Seriously. A little dusty pile of broken numbers. Thanks goodness my 6 behaved itself.

So, what's new with you guys? I miss you but I have so much to do. You understand, right? This house goes on the market in about 5 weeks and I'm as busy as a one armed paper hanger. Did any of your moms use that phrase? I woke up at 3 am this morning with the full realization of what we are doing. I still can't believe it. I'm nervous. I'm excited. I'm probably more than a little crazy. What are you doing today to make your dreams come true?

25 comments:

  1. Let's go to Midland this summer after you move to your dream house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your finds! I can't pass up that aqua color either. I literally just returned from my latest treasure hunt:

    http://simplyladolcevita12.blogspot.com/2010/01/very-dangerous-idea.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the pictures! Great post...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you pick a house? (Perhaps I missed a post on this).

    ReplyDelete
  5. great little finds
    i think i need to find a clock face
    drop it
    & end up with a 6
    too
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh how wonderful!!! I adore the clock hands!!!

    Enjoy!!!
    XOXO
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well I love the tin. Those are my kitchen colors.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that tin! I love everything else too. My mum used to say that one armed paper hanger thing too.
    Good luck in getting your house ready that is a super big job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have this itch to go antique shopping but I can't right now because I would more than likely spend more than $10.00. Unlike you who knows how to discipline herself:) I love your blog...have a great day and have fun moving into your new home.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Is it lard FOR leafs or lard FROM leafs? (leaves, leafs, same thing) I so DO NOT want to move maybe EVER again but I could be tempted by the perfect little house in a nearby "village" here in the burbs of L.A. (after I win the lottery). I sure am happy for you though and will be watching your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the clock and that little collection of clock hands! I used to have a lard tin. You just keep being busy following your dreams girl. I'm lost in my dollhouse at the moment, and the world of miniatures. I've found all these blogs with shabby chic dollhouses and I'm in heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great finds! Love that clock face!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ok, is it socially acceptable to say you "love" a lard bucket?! Because I do! I also love that clock, even if some of it's little blue numbers are now in number heaven!

    My mother and father used the one armed paper hanger saying...and I have used it too!

    Good luck with the house selling, I'll send you a little house selling karma from here on the East Coast!

    Kat :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. " ...is it a six, or is it a nine..." I know you had the benefit of seeing it when it had all of its numbers, but when I first looked upon it, my inital thought was... Neat color, right?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love what you said about being having an orphan syndrome, now I forgot your exact words. Never the less, that was funny. I can identify.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I too collect lard tins. I completely get it. The idea that someone who need that much lard. I have 50 lb ones!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You're such a great vintage orphan mommy. Cute stuff, and I bet that six was calling your name outloud.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think the colors on the lard tin are beautiful! The clock face is awesome!!! I think I need to go antiquing RIGHT NOW!!!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I always giggle when I see a lard tin, they are just so "of another era". And, the graphics are usually great. I love what you did with the clock arms.

    ReplyDelete
  20. awesome clock face!!
    Completly understand the busy...this past summer we sold our house plus many more crazy busy things! Take time to breathe (:
    blessings, barbara

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great finds...I am a sucker for that same color. Just seem to be drawn to it. I sure hope all of the lard was gone, so as not to tempt you!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. i love that you are acting in your dream and doing it. Good luck!
    Bristol

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great finds, Jen! Love color of the tin! Fun clock hands and pieces. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  24. oh wow!! all of them so wonderful.. You have such an amazing blog!! Plus.. I love you your studio..

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a note. It's always so appreciated.