May 08, 2013

In the Spring


 I love this quote by Margaret Atwood  “In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt.”
Yes. That is my daily goal. I'm trying not to let little things like cooking, cleaning, errands and a sore back get in my way too much.


 I don't ever recall feeling quite like I do this Spring. And since it's hard to make myself come in, I had to bring some of it in with me. It's my consolation prize. I used to have such a hard time letting myself cut flowers to bring in. My goal is to plant so many that I won't even notice some missing.


This girl has been my constant companion, always patiently waiting for me to throw her ball. I've given up on this patch of ground cover as it is her favorite bed. It's a worthy trade since she looks so sweet laying in it. This may be my favorite picture of all time.


This flowering crab apple tree was in peak bloom last week. What an amazing sight to see! Now we have a constant snow of white flower petals that are everywhere, including on top of the new layer of mulch we just put down. Also on doggy noses.


Saturday morning we took a break from yard work to roam the Village. Emma was happy to get to kick off her shoes and wade into the river that runs behind us.  Sigh. I love the Village. I bet I've said that 50 times this week. I love the people, the trees, the birds that sing a constant song, borrowing green onions for my salad from my neighbor working his garden, the shopkeepers, the smells and the peace and happiness that it has brought me every day for the last three years.


 Yesterday I used our rain barrel for the first time after I transplanted some lambs ear. It was way more exciting than it should have been. Where before there was emptiness, now there are free lambs ear that I watered with free water. I got that same giddy feeling that I get when I leave the library with a tote full of books that nobody has the sense to charge me for. That feeling motivated me to divide and transplant all afternoon.


In other ridiculously happy news, this Crape Myrtle that I bought last Mother's Day survived an Indiana winter. This is a very big deal for this southern transplant that desperately misses them.  It is a Hopi Crape Myrtle for those of you in a colder zone (I'm a 5) who are dreaming of growing them. I planted it in a location where it was sheltered from wind and mulched the H E double hockey sticks out of it last fall. Fingers crossed that blooms are in my future this summer. Don't worry, I will give you an in depth update this summer. Yay you!


And one more glance because their beauty is so fleeting. I hope wherever you are, there is beauty blooming around you.


18 comments:

  1. Beautiful images of your garden. I ,too, have spent countless hours planting, transplanting and watering in hopes of a fabulously green and flowery garden this year. I am sure all of our hard work will pay off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that quote Jen. I have been enthralled in the garden as well. My front perenniel bed is in year three of it's planting and filling in so beautifully and yes, there are enough flowers that I can bring in armloads of roses and not notice them missing. As it warms a little here in zone 9, the Shasta daisies, zinnias and larkspur won't be far behind. Your garden is looking wonderful. Can't wait to see it come to life. Patty

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to live in the village!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to live in the village, too!

    Gorgeous, JJ!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely way to start my morning, with this beautiful post.

    I totally am with you on the excitement of free library books, etc.... I get crazy giddy when the Meyer lemons are ripe and it's time for picking. I almost gave myself an excitement headache a couple of times this year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lilacs are one of my all time favorites- so old-fashion, romantic and divine. I love the way yours look in those jars. Wish I could bring my own into the house but I am highly allergic to them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that I'm not alone in my strangeness, I get way too thrilled at seeing buds on my peonies and snowball bushes! Your lawn is so pretty. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can totally relate too.. I love your crab apple tree. It's so pretty. I planted one with pink flowers but it's still only a small tree. I also get excited when my flowers bloom or fill my basket with my own vegies! I'm sure all gardeners can relate! take care, Maryann

    ReplyDelete
  9. jen, i know that i have made this same comment a million times on your blog, but, you really need to write a book. reading this post gave me the same feeling as reading lucy maud montgomery's best "anne" novels. you made me feel spring the way i did when i was a little girl. you captured the magic & beauty of it. and, the frivolity and fun of the small spring happenings, as well as the fleetingness & fragility of what always seems to be the shortest season.

    i love summer with it's big, bad, bold colors & temperatures and winter's stark, modernistic landscape tempered by holiday decorations. but, spring & fall are my favorites. you always seem to be able to capture and put into words the hazy loveliness and nostalgia of my favorite seasons.

    keep on blogging, we need more jen & "anne" in our lives





    ReplyDelete
  10. ah, that's the tradeoff...lilac for crepe myrtle. :) i love that you love being in your garden. it is something i have to work on...i think in my ideal climate i would love working in the garden...but we tend to have lived in places that are way too hot to enjoy being outdoors much past may. someday...

    i'm intrigued and excited about the idea of your rain barrel.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't believe you have lived in The Village for three years. I began blogging one year ago so I must have followed your for quite a few years since I remember when you were putting your house up for sale, renting in the village, buying. My how time flies when you are having fun.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the hope that I hear in people's "voices" in springtime! So glad your Crape Myrtle is doing well. How nice to have something to look forward to!

    ReplyDelete
  13. beautiful beautiful. i would love your village too!! lilacs. my favorites. i have been in the yard all week too. it has just been glorious. i love this weather.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was just in The Village last week. What's not to love? It's a great community. The coffee shop is the best and they carry my favorite flavor of coffee. Jamaica Me Crazy. I always stop in to buy a bag of it whenever I'm close by.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely post - I loved taking a glimpse into your spring day! Sweet, sweet dog and beautiful photo of your daughter. Love your mantel! Happy Spring! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. What beautiful spring days you've been having...your dog is so sweet-looking and I love the photo of your daughter dipping her toes in the water. I wanna live in The Village, too. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a relaxing read on a stressful morning! Thanks you for sharing a "glimpse" of village spring life and your beautiful picture of your daughter. Love your pictures of your sweet dog also. He looks like is enjoying his life in the village also!! Happy Mothers Day to everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  18. i wish there was a "like" button on here....and on each picture. <3 everything is so delightful! xoxoxo!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a note. It's always so appreciated.