November 09, 2013

Quilt Rehab



I recently bought the vintage quilt that was pictured in the last post. I love it so much and got it for a good price mostly because it had two spots on it that look like coffee stains that won't wash out.




Since there is no expectation of perfection in our house, it didn't really bother me but I thought it might be fun to do a little project to hide them a bit and add even more personality to the quilt. I got out a stack of doilies and crochet flowers and got to work.


I pinned different combinations to the quilt until I got the look I wanted, grabbed my embroidery thread and sewed them to the quilt.


You don't really see the stains on the front but they are still there on the back only now they are accented with pretty colored stitching.


A little quirk layered on top of the charm. This quilt is in constant rotation in our house. If there isn't a human snuggling under it, then there is a kitty snuggling on top of it.


I hope that the person that lovingly made it, would be happy that it has found a new home where it is so appreciated.

17 comments:

  1. Lovely quilt.....Like how you crocheted the piece over the spot and it does add personality. I would have never noticed it! My mother is a quilter and making quilts for all of her children.

    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful!
    As a quilter I really appreciate the care you took to make this quilt loved a little longer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is a very happy quilter somewhere. Nothing says cozy more than a well loved quilt! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you make the crocheted doiles? They are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great find Jen and the fact that there is a stain on it tells you it was loved and used by the family who owned it before you. Just a gorgeous fix, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you didn't let that tiny flaw stop you from enjoying someone's hard work! It's a beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant! I have been trying to keep up with little tears in the quilt I made with my grandmother 35 years ago - I will remember this trick when mending over-comes beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good idea. Who could throw away a quilt after someone worked so hard on it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Clever! I love the way you came up with a unique way to improve the quilt. :) Kit

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like it a million times more now and I love my creative, beautiful friend who lovingly mended it too! =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great old quilt. I love the soft, worn feeling of an old quilt that has been loved by many- xoDiana

    ReplyDelete
  12. You know I love that quilt. The doilies add a whole 'nother layer of charm. What a cute idea!! I have a stack of doilies here that I wanted to make a table runner out of and never did. Maybe they need to be incorporated into a quilt instead. ~Angela~

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great idea! I've got plenty of old quilts with tattered spots that could use a doily or 2 to fix them up.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful! Every quilt should be loved and used. No sense in making one if it can't be used. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a note. It's always so appreciated.