May 15, 2015

Drawstring Bag Project


At any given time, I have countless projects in my head. My mind is a busy, colorful place. I try to write the ideas down so I don't lose them, but some refuse to be forgotten no matter what. This is one of those projects.


At some point I bought something that came in this drawstring bag. I couldn't even tell you what it was. I do know that from the first moment I got it, I knew I had to use this bag in a project.


I picked out some fabrics I like (the top two are the fabrics I used for the front and back of Maddie's pillow). I eyeballed the size and ripped a large enough piece of the blue fabric to cover the entire piece so the black graphic wouldn't show through the lighter fabrics. Then I ripped the other two fabrics creating this look. Seriously, I hate cutting fabric. I never get it straight enough for my perfectionist tendencies. Also, ripping fabric is therapeutic. Go try it. Instant stress reliever.


I sewed the fabrics together, layering as I went, cut out a large flower from another fabric (using stabilizer on the fabric) and stitched it to a crocheted doily and then stitched that onto the fabric piece. Then I embroidered my initials on the corner of the bag (mostly so neither of my children would steal the bag from me) and then sewed the entire fabric piece to the drawstring bag.


I hope my instructions were clear. Let me know if you have any questions! It was so fun and crazy easy. I will probably use it as a project bag. Or for packing things I want to keep separate on trips. Or both. For now I'm just happy to look at it hanging there by the door. I've got a similar tote project that won't get out of my head that I want to do soon with a really nice heavy tote I got free at West Elm when our store first opened. I'll be sure to share that one too!  I'm wishing I had about 10 extra hours in every day. Plus a maid, chef and chauffeur. There's no telling what I could get done then! Have a creative weekend!

20 comments:

  1. I love this..it turned out beautiful. Are you going to be making any for your shop? My mom has the pin cushion you made in the sewing room and I keep thinking I need one for myself. :)
    Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the bag ... love the color and fabric choice ... love your words "my mind is a busy, colorful place". I want to make a sign for my creative space with those words- do you mind?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The perfect pick me up for a weary soul, my friend. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow -- that turned out great! You are so clever! Love it! Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i just love this so much, it reminds me of ones that i've seen on pinterest and i love it, maybe i will try to make something similar soon, i have a small drawstring bag that would work. your instructions make it so simple

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not a seamstress (but for sewing buttons!), but this project looks doable and beautiful. How easy to pick out resources at Hobby Lobby to make a bag. I'm writing this idea down!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so sweet, wish I could sew!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great little remake! I love the doily you added. It's the perfect taste of texture!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love when you give in to your creativity! beautiful things always happen!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the pretty fabrics. This bag would be ideal for travelling.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think it is your choice of colors and patterns that make what you do so very special. LOVE it, Jen.
    Guess what? The kids found a house in your village that they love! They are just waiting for their house to get a bonafide offer so they can make an offer on it. They LOVE your sweet little town! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  12. The bag and the pillow are absolutely darling, Jen :)

    I'm so sorry to hear about your mother-in-law. My she rest in peace.

    (((hugs)))
    rue

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh sew cute. Love the colors and the fabrics you choose.
    Hugs
    donna

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is fabulous! I just love it! My mind is going wild with possibilities!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is fabulous! I just love it! My mind is going wild with possibilities!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is fabulous! I just love it! My mind is going wild with possibilities!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is SO beautiful and SO you. I love it! I have a ton of little drawstring bags and I think this would be fun to try on some smaller bags too! Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a note. It's always so appreciated.