May 14, 2007

7 Random/Weird Things About Me and a Recipe

I've been tagged by Sara of Sadie Olive and by Genevieve Olsen of Bella Enchanted to list 7 random/weird facts about myself. I think it may be very difficult to stop at 7 but here goes...

1) Typos make me crazy. My last job was doing financial reports for a big 5 firm and typos absolutely were.not.acceptable. Now I see them everywhere.

2) I'm a ridiculous baby when Sweet Hubby is out of town. I only function at 1/2 power and I'm absolutely not myself until he comes back home. He's leaving soon for 9 days and I can't hardly stand the thought of it. Hurry home Baby.

3) I must have my toenails painted. All the time.

4) I'm not great at anything. I'm relatively good at lots of things but I don't appear to have a God given talent for anything. Nothing I've discovered yet, anyway.

5) I'm divorced. I got married the first time at the age of 18 to a man that was 12 years older than me. I suffered through 1o years of unhappiness before I finally got the nerve to get out. Except for how it affects Maddie, getting divorced was the best thing I've ever done for myself.

6) I haven't had any contact with my biological father since I was 15. I was raised from the time I was 4 by my stepdad who really was all the Dad I needed. He treated me like I was his own from day one and I'm lucky that Sweet Hubby is the same way with Maddie.

7) I love to read and have several books going at any given time. Right now I'm reading a novel, a gardening book and a financial book at the same time. I'm always reading a magazine too.

I'm not tagging anyone because I think you have all already been tagged but if not let's hear about your weirdness!
***************************************************


This is a recipe from The Barefoot Contessa that I made for my Mom for Mother's Day. I think you will enjoy it!


Blueberry Crumb Cake

For the streusel


1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmet
1 stick unsalted butter, melted
1 1/3 cups all purpose flour

For the cake
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
3/4 cups granulated sugar
2 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
2/3 cup sour cream
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup fresh blueberries (I used frozen and thawed)
Confectioner's sugar, for sprinkling

Preheat the oven to 350°. Butter and flour a 9 inch round baking pan (I used square).

For the streusel, combine the granulated sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a bowl. Stir in the melted butter and then the flour. Mix well and set aside.

For the cake, cream the butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment on high speed for 4 to 5 minutes, until light. Reduce the speed to low and add the eggs one at a time, then add the vanilla, lemon zest, and sour cream. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. With the mixer on low speed, add the flour mixture to the batter until just combined. Fold in the blueberries and stir iwth a spatula to be sure the batter is completely mixed.

Spoon the batter into the prepared pan and spread it out with a knife. With your fingers, crumble the topping evenly over the batter. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, until a cake tester comes out clean. Cool completely and serve sprinkled with confectioner's sugar.

12 comments:

  1. I'm with you on 3, 4 and 5.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was an interesting post.
    The recipe looks so good. I am going to have to try it.
    I hope you don't find any typos in my blog. I try really hard not to have any. It bugs me too.
    I use spell check, and I read and reread. Sometimes, one makes it in anyway. It's very annoying.
    I hate when my husband is out of town too. I'm lucky that he doesn't have to travel too often.
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always have my toenails painted, too! I used to be like you on the books, too, but I read (surgical cases) all day at work now, so I find my mind wandering at home. I hope you don't find many typos on my blog! :) I enjoyed reading about you. And, Barefoot Contessa is one of my favorite shows...the recipe sounds yummy!

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for popping by & visiting!! I must try this! Fabulous recipe!!
    ~cheers~
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a warm post! I enjoyed reading and learn more about you :) I also havn`t had any contact with my father sinds i was 12, but i don`t want any contact, never in a million years! But somethimes i miss a dad. Specially when i argue with my mother, she can be very difficult. And i get the same feeling as my hubby also is on a businesstrip. I feel very alone and almost sick.Then i can`t be botherd about anything, i don`t want to do anything and just sits and wait until he comes back again, strange feeling! And i am soooo glad to hear that i am not alone with this feeling! Thank you for sharing and letting us know you a little bit better :) And also thank you for the delicious recipe!! I will print it out :)
    Enjoy rest of your day and see you very soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed reading your 7 things. I love to read too and also have more than 1 book going at a time. I always have something mindless to read like a romance novel, someting that makes me think, something where I basically look at the pictures and several magazines.

    I noticed that you have Maison Reve on your list of favs. I've loved her style ever since I saw a magazine article on her house I guess it was year ago or so. Do you get her email updates?

    Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  7. Barefoot Contessa recipes are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, we should talk. I identify with you on almost all those things. Especially the typos and the books.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was a legal secretary in my other life, and typos were the enemy! And I see them all the time. They drive me crazy!

    Also, thanks for sharing the blueberry recipe - I LOVE blueberries and always have a humongo Costco bag full of them in the freezer and this recipe is happening tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I must try this recipe!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I must try this recipe! My husband love blueberries.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm sorry Jen that I have gotten so very behind with my blog visits. I'm just now commenting on your 7 interesting things and that lovely crumb cake. I really appreciate you sharing things about yourself. I'm a stepmom and grew up with a stepdad myself, although my lovely dad died when I was 2 in a car accident. I think that being a step-parent is one of the best, hardest, and most precious things I've ever done, and it has made me a better mom to my little Evy as well (and I have a great relationship with my stepson, which is so wonderful). Also, that blueberry crumble looks amazing. I bet it was delicious!

    allie
    www.mycozyhome.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a note. It's always so appreciated.