September 18, 2019

Full Creative Immersion


There is no feeling for me, like being fully present in an activity that I'm passionate about. I lose all track of time and hours pass without my knowledge or consent. I come out of my creative fog and have no idea what's going on around me. My studio is a disaster, I have no idea where my phone is, I haven't completed the things I meant to complete and dinner is going to have to be a spur of the moment event because it is suddenly too late and too much effort to tackle the delicious meal that just this morning sounded like a good idea.


I have had this sense that there was something just beyond the horizon since last winter. I was full of anticipation, dreams and inspiration.  But then real life barged in and I had to shelve the ideas that were filling my head. In fact, I had to shelve them so far and deep that I worried a bit that I wouldn't be able to access them when the time was right. I spent a lot of months not making myself a priority which is just the way some seasons of our life go. And that's perfectly okay- as long as we don't make that a permanent situation.


Fast forward three quarters of the year and I find myself able to carve out time to follow my whims, throw myself into a subject with reckless abandon, spending every possible moment I can, learning. Last year when I was starting to give some thought to what life would like when the nest was empty, I was feeling a fair amount of pressure to make some decisions about what came next. Mind you, all of this pressure was internal and all of these thoughts were based on what I thought other people expected of me now. When I talked it over with my Sweet Man, he asked me what I pictured for my next phase and I immediately replied without any hesitation... FULL CREATIVE IMMERSION!



So, that was settled. I threw myself into reworking my studio, started the new year by spending the day in there and then tucked away my hopes for full creative immersion into a little spot in my heart that I would occasionally visit wistfully for the months to come.


And now here I am, deep diving into watercolor painting, still knitting whenever I can, taking a rug hooking class, digging out my embroidery projects, planning a quilt, planning on spending time sketching, signing up for more creative classes than I can reasonably juggle and any number of other interests that have my head filled to capacity and have me dreaming creative dreams every night.


I'm finding myself again but with a new depth that my life currently allows for. This phase that I'm embarking on feels like a very important period of my life- the kind you look back on and think of as before that moment and after that moment. It's not that it's better, because what could be better than raising my girls, but it's valuable and fulfilling in a completely new way. I can't always guide the changes in my life, but I can choose how I embrace those changes.

12 comments:

  1. So lovely to read how you are approaching these days... hoping they are full of joy and contentment

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you're seeing this as an important period in your life. I think about that sometimes too; amidst the never-ending dishes and laundry, I fully realize that one day I'll miss this stage, as busy as it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, friend ... i am right there with you, but three steps behind. i've thrown myself into getting my space ready, and now that the school year is here, i'm ready to focus on what brings me peace and joy. i, too, want to get back into watercolors ... teach myself to embroider ... focus on the ideas swirling in my head. it's time, right? we've raised our kiddos, we aren't getting any younger, it's time for US. YES!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so wonderful, Jen. I am learning to embrace this stage of my life as an empty nester...even though I need to practice more self-care and definitely make more time to create, I have learned that it's OK to just "be" and not necessarily have to be defined by something. I have no desire to ever work outside the home again (I know I am very blessed that I don't need or have to) and am perfectly content to fill my days with taking care of my home, making delicious meals for me and my hubby, going to yoga class, taking walks in nature, writing poetry, working in my art journal, planting flowers, or meeting up with friends. After all the years of raising kids, now is OUR time. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect....how lovely to find time and space for you. I faced retirement ( I don’t have any children) in much the same way and now all my creative activities are competing for pole position but what a lovely situation to be in. A blessing every day. Do enjoy being in the moment and love it all . 💖😊x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Full creative immersion sounds amazing... and this is the perfect time of year to do so. I always enjoy seeing what you're up to. So many lovely projects!

    ReplyDelete
  7. P.S. Where did you find this beautiful autumn embroidery kit?

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are recent empty nesters, as in both sons out of college and on their own. It's definitely a transition, which is when I brought a rescue dog into our home, and then he needed a "buddy" so we got a puppy less than a year later. My husband was working out of the area at the time and we saw each other only on weekends. Now, husband is retiring and we're embracing another new chapter. . .I LOVE how you're embracing your new found time and would love to emulate that. It's my desire when I retire to ENJOY my home, ENJOY my creativity, and love that you do that on a regular basis. You are truly an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I am so happy for you - sounds like an exciting new chapter in your life is about to begin!
    And what is that pretty pink sweater/cardigan you are knitting? The yarn looks lovely - and a perfect match to your comfy pants! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks like a great plan! I have been enjoying my home so much, I have to force myself to go out...lol Have a lovely weekend! Kit

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love to read about your life.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a note. It's always so appreciated.