November 03, 2020

Calm Amongst the Chaos

Well, I don't know about you, but I think today seems like a lovely day for searching out calm, quiet, peace and stillness. There have been a lot of days like that over the last several months and I feel certain there will be a lot more over the next several months.


Reading has been a lifelong escape into other worlds for me, whether it's a magazine or a book. I love to travel to other places on the wings of words. Lately I have been drawn to stories from childhood and I think the nostalgia has been most welcome.


Journaling is a great way to process my feelings or just get them out of my head and onto the page. Pasting pretty pictures into my journal takes me to a whole new level of comfort.


Time in the kitchen is always well spent for me. Tonight I'm making a big pot of Jambalaya because there is something soul filling about the act of chopping things up, throwing them into a pot and simmering them slowly on the stove top. Maybe I'll get around to baking cookies and share them with neighbors because they probably need some cheer right now also.


Getting lost in my hobbies probably brings me more comfort than anything. Knitting is meditation, photography helps me really see my surroundings and brings the beauty into focus. It helps me center my thoughts in gratitude for all that I have.


There are any number of ways to bring calm to the day. Turning off the news and signing out of social media are probably the single most effective things but some other things that bring me peace are:
-Getting out in nature
-Watching some comfort TV or movies. For me that's You've Got Mail or Gilmore Girls or maybe something on the Hallmark channel
-Doing some yoga, breathing or meditation
-Organizing something or cleaning the house. Sometimes it helps to feel like we have control of something
-Putting on some cozy music and lighting some candles or turning on some twinkle lights. 
-Counting my blessings. Forever and Always. No matter what.

Today, I wish a lot of things. More than anything- peace and health for all of us. I wish I could do a random act of kindness for each of you. I would bring a plate of cookies and leave them on your doorstep, ring the bell, stand back and tell you Hi! I just wanted you to know I was thinking about you today! Since I can't do that I'm leaving you with this cozy Christmas playlist I've been listening to on repeat. If it's too soon for you, save it for later! Be kind to yourself today. And tomorrow. Rinse and repeat.

8 comments:

  1. thanks for the good wishes and the christmas musica...everybody needs some joy and compassion right now πŸ•Š️❤️πŸ•Š️❤️πŸ•Š️❤️πŸ•Š️

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are always welcome to leave a plate of homemade cookies on my doorstep and wave hello! Though, of course, I would want to invite you in. :-)

    I have felt very anxious and stressed lately (not just because of the election) and my amazing physical therapist today took the extra time to massage my head and neck (I'd had a headache for over 24 hours), and my tight hips and lower back. I also listened to a relaxing meditation; had a social distance coffee visit from a good friend; and took a walk in my neighborhood in the glorious sunshine. I can't tell you how much better I feel physically and emotionally tonight. Self-care and doing things that make us happy is a MUST!

    I will be waiting about six more weeks to listen to your playlist. lol

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have read a few posts this morning all with the same theme. It seems a lot of us are craving calm. Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your kind words and the playlist!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a sweet, heartfelt post! I’m watching Hallmark right now while reading a few of my favorite blogs. I might start decorating for Christmas this week! I’m trying to stay off social media today. It’s been difficult, though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have nailed it, Jennifer. We need to escape (but stay informed). Mine is reading, relaxing with a cold pack on my back which... is acting up terribly. My dogs snuggle with me and my husband is extra helpful. I'll always love my time in the kitchen and I'm creating new recipes, that's where I use my energy and time standing. My current outlet is browsing design books as I'm redoing our family room, and that's all about mood, taste, aesthetics, and love for a personal cozy space. So exciting but I never rush the process.


    Thank you for sweet post. I'm finally blogging more!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with all your suggestions for calm...thanks so much for the reminder, sometimes I get stuck in the chaos loop-at least in my mind, so it's good to have a reminder to slow down and enjoy the simple pleasures. I love your stack of books, have you read them all? I was wondering about the "Lucy Crisp" one, I haven't read that one or any by that author. Also-what type of journal do you have? I would love to be able to paste things in mine but I don't think the pages are sturdy enough-I would love to see more pictures of your journal it looks lovely.
    I've been sewing and listening to a Jan Karon book-always a comfort to me-
    Best Wishes-Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  8. So good to hear you are doing well. I see your IG account is private. I hope nothing happened and someone spoke out of turn. You take care and have a good Thanksgiving. Stay safe. Kit

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a note. It's always so appreciated.