October 30, 2020

New Seasons

 (photo by Katie McBroom Photo)

This is what our family looks like now. Our big girl got married last weekend! They've been together 10 years and have already weathered many storms. We are wishing them a lifetime of calmer seas. I will be posting more photos later. The photographer was just amazing! Well, everything about the day was amazing!


Now that my to do lists and energy aren't focused on wedding prep, I'm settling into our quiet, cozy empty nest -for however long that lasts. Projects either got done or didn't and either way my mind has moved on to other priorities. To be honest, a priority I'm not historically good at focusing on...me.


The cadence of my days has shifted, like the seasons themselves. The things giving me pleasure are simple: baking bread, these scones, getting to know my camera again, taking a couple of online classes, occasional naps, reading- an extensive list of other pleasures. I continue to do what needs to be done to keep our home and lives on track, but I've realized that To Do list isn't going anywhere and I'm tired of trying to cross all the boxes off and feeling guilty when I fail. And I almost always fail. I'm often guilty of feeling like I can't take any pleasure from life until all of the work is done. The curse of the good work ethic. I'm guessing I'm not the only one among us who feels this way.


As I settle into a new flow that allows for taking time in the afternoons for creative pursuits, I find myself feeling excited to get up every day. It has been awhile since I have felt that way and didn't even realize it had slipped away until that old friend showed back up. I'm replenishing my spirit which in turn pays off in a myriad of ways.

We are battening down the hatches over here and tucking in for a long winter's nap. There is no telling what the next months will look like but I think it is going to be more important than ever that we find ways to be happy. 


While I will surely be missing people I love dearly, I know that there will be an end to this and I imagine the depth of gratitude we will feel for something as simple as a warm hug, seeing a movie or going away for the weekend, will be unlike anything we could have imagined. For the present moment, I'm going to make a point of focusing on the positives and finding happiness in the small, quiet moments. That's where the peace lives.

14 comments:

  1. You have a lovely family, and I wish the couple much happiness! :D
    We are living in unprecedented times...and I hope that things will go back to normal soon!

    xo,
    Ricki Jill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ricki! Yes some normal sounds lovely.

      Delete
  2. I've been loving the wedding photos on Instagram, Jen...congrats to the lovely couple and kudos to your photographer for capturing the happiness in your family!

    I know how events like this can drain you, I've felt it four times!! The last wedding for my youngest daughter was a three day destination event. Now that was a huge deal!! But sometimes you have to let grace take over and try not to to do or be more than you can manage.

    I totally get you on finding out what gives you and only you peace and solitary time. I'm no expert on self care or ticking off the boxes on ways to spend time on myself, but I think I've managed to incorporate that into my every day life. I must have two cups of coffee in the morning and I'm not budging til then! Lunch is something I don't make for my hubby and myself--we are on our own. And I love to lie down on my bed every afternoon from 4:00 to 6 just to read, blog, nap, or pet my pups and bask in the moment.

    I applaud you in finding your needs and putting yourself first. You give so much to your family and I know you will do well in creating time of your own.❤️

    New blog post up--finally!!!!

    Jamne x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jane! I'll be around for a visit soon. Glad to hear you are carving out some blogging time.

      Delete
  3. Best wishes to your daughter and her new husband! I know what you mean about feeling guilty doing fun things when there is a long to do list! I am trying to be better at it too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations to your daughter and new SIL! May I ask where you got the first tea cup with lid shown? So unique and as I'm an avid tea drinker, always on the lookout for new things. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's actually from Anthropologie purchased recently while they were having a special. I really love it! So different.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for your post. I’m reading it whilst in my Spanish home but from the U.K. where we’re waiting to be told what is happening next . Being grounded in the here and now, enjoying the moment and remember to enjoy the small things, our home is our safe place...is so important to remember right now to be happy and grateful for what we have and can do at home, to enjoy being, so yes...understand what we need and try to address that ourselves is so valuable and insightful. Thank you for your thoughts and take good care x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sending you the best! I'm sure things are on the verge of changing for many of us. So far our lockdown is self imposed.

      Delete
  6. congratulations to you and your family. love your pink bag! where did you get it???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary! The bag is actually a woven basket that I bought at a yarn shop in Holland, MI a few years ago.

      Delete
  7. What a beautiful photo of an even more beautiful family! Congratulations on your daughter's wedding. You described me to a "t" when you talked about having to get all the work done before you could focus on any self-care. I've given myself permission in the late afternoons to take time just for myself. Whether it's to take a little cat nap, read, paint my nails, listen to a couple of guided meditations, take a walk down to the lake...I've been doing it.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melanie! I know you and I share this quality so I'm so glad to hear that you are making yourself a priority. Good for you!

      Delete
  8. When our kids grow up and leave to pursuit their own lives, suddenly we don't know what to do with all the time and energy. I found my friends and hobbies. Regards, Naomi Dreams

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a note. It's always so appreciated.