October 02, 2020

One Cozy Day

 

Firstly, thank you so much for the warm welcome home. As a thank you, I made us an Autumn playlist which I have been listening to on repeat. You can find it on Spotify here. I'm actually listening to it as I write this. It is best enjoyed with flickering candlelight, a cozy blanket and tea. I find music so evocative and am known to make a new playlist each season as if I am creating a soundtrack for my own life. In fact, soundtracks have been my favorite music influences from my first-Grease and American Graffiti (on 8 track!) to long term and current favorites like One Fine Day, You've Got Mail, Sleepless in Seattle and When Harry Met Sally.

 

This past Monday, we had our first cozy, rainy autumn day. We have had very little rain so I watched the extended forecast with much anticipation. A rainy autumn Monday when you don't have anyplace to be is only rivaled by a stormy Sunday when you have no place to be. Don't you agree? So I planned for days, choosing my coziest loungewear and making plans to savor every moment. In this house we all like to burrow in our hidey holes when the weather is inclement and kitties are no exception. There is one snuggled under that blanket, in one of her favorite spots.



I do best with some structure so I usually have a loose plan for my days and week. On Monday I do a tidy, undoing the damage to the house created from the weekend. I tackle the giant never ending basket of towels to fold, straighten up, put away all the things that get left out, sweep the floor and any number of invisible tasks that I do without thinking on any given day. I also tend to do some cooking for the week. I took some recently harvested garden tomatoes and added them to a jar with shallot, garlic, basil, olive oil and balsamic vinegar, baked some sourdough bread to enjoy with it and to have around for the week and made an autumn vegetable soup for dinner starring butternut squash from my garden.





On Mondays, I also try to do a task I have procrastinated doing. This week it was ripping out this sweater I twice tried and failed to knit successfully-so that I might reuse the yarn for another project. This task was best accomplished curled up in a cozy chair while watching Sweet Magnolias on Netflix. I have a condition that prevents me from just sitting with still hands. I'm practicing to correct this with a goal of being able to sit and read or watch a movie or just think, without feeling like I need to also be accomplishing something. I am beginning to realize that my mind (and hands) need the stillness. Especially these days. Although to be sure, knitting is my mediation. 


A cozy day calls for a cozy afternoon snack and lately I have been enjoying brown sugar maple oatmeal with a dollop of crunchy almond butter and a sprinkle of cinnamon. I never liked oatmeal until recently but there is something so comforting about having a warm oatmeal filled mug in my hands so I believe I picked just the right time to start liking it.



I recently read this quote "It is no bad thing to celebrate a simple life." I couldn't agree more. 



I've been thinking lately about how important it is to love your life- to not spend your days wishing for your next vacation but to build a life you love so much that you don't feel you need to escape it. New adventures are wonderful and the change in perspective and memories we gain from them are invaluable and they can even give us an increased appreciation of home. Ideally, I think, they compliment our every day life and don't become our main focus. What a wonderful thing to be content with who and where we are right now. I hope that's where this day finds you.



13 comments:

  1. Sounds like a lovely day! I have been trying to cultivate such life as well and trying to focus on what makes me feel “blissful” and push the drudgery part of life aside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is nothing like a rainy day to stay cozy inside. That oatmeal sounds yummy! That thing you guessed about me the other day? It happened. When you have a chance come check out my post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your version of oatmeal! YUM! It is a beautiful and sunny day here today. I want to get outside soon and enjoy!

    Your blog and cottage are both cozy spots!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cozy, beautiful post, Jen! I saved your playlist to my Spotify library. Can't wait to listen to it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have yet to have a blissful rainy cozy day here yet (central Oregon) but I'm not complaining really. After about 3 weeks of horrible smoke from wildfires, it's now mostly clear again and I'm celebrating blue skies and 70's and 80's temperatures! But I do so love those misty rainy days when I can make myself cuddle up and read a book and have some hot chocolate. I'm like you... I very seldom every have idle hands or mind.. always thinking of the next thing I want to do or should do... but I know that quiet times are so important.. just sitting and thinking (by a fire if you have one)... and not "doing". I have been trying to do that more lately. I too love oatmeal with brown sugar.. it's very comforting and I grew up eating it almost every day. My mom called it "mush" but it was real oatmeal, with brown sugar, butter and milk! Yum... Your post reminded me to slow down and relax and if I see a rainy day in the forecast, I'm going to find my favorite flannel PJ's and just wear t hem all day and binge watch Netflix! (and have oatmeal and hot chocolate!). Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely, cozy post. I've been a fan of oatmeal for many, many years. I enjoy it topped with sliced almonds, dried cranberries, maple syrup and a splash of milk. It's so warm and comforting - especially this time of year. Stay cozy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good morning! Being cozy myself this morn. You'll have to tell me how that still hands works out for you. I have the same problem...lol Must be why I write and embroider when I watch tv. I have always been a multi-tasker and that's not a bad thing, right? My favorite cereal is oatmeal with chopped apples and walnuts. Have a lovely Sunday. Kit

    ReplyDelete
  8. I actually prefer my cozy life over going on vacation...unless it’s visiting family. I always end up having a very nice time on vacation I just really love my simple routine. I kind of grew up in a home with drama so this is how I’ve designed my life. As best as I can. Life throws enough curve balls even when we try our best to live in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a nice post. I guess a lot of us are trying to make the best of our life right now. Just so you know, I wrote your last sentence at the top of my bullet journal today, as a reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We are very much alike, Jen. When I wake up to gray skies I feel not only lazy, but also inspired to do something to celebrate my time in my home with no plans. I really suffer from multitasking, such as working on emails and watching TV at the same time. I'm also a late sleeper and I realize I'm missing out on that good life (and some gorgeous sunrises), by lounging too long in bed!

    The jar of tomatoes and veggies with olive oil sounds delish! It is a brilliant idea for extending the life of fresh veggies. Can I ask how you use this during the week?

    I'm missing a good rain like you. We've had some sprinklings at night, just not enough for my late blooms. It'll happen before long!

    Stay cozy!❤️

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love you. i love your view on life. i love your peacefulness. i aspire to your calm and beauty and peace. come stay with me and teach me how, because i keep getting distracted by ... gestures to everything ...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always love reading your posts. Hug, and have the best weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, fisrt i need to apologize for my english isn´t the best but i really try:)i read this post and star to feel more peace, lately i feel in the same way, sometimes in a hurry for doing i don´t what, sometimes sad and restless, and read about ¡celebrate the simple life is refreshing, thank you so much:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a note. It's always so appreciated.