December 19, 2020

On the Eve of my 50th Birthday

 

Tomorrow dawns a new decade for me. In the blink of an eye, I find myself standing at the door of 50, equal parts disbelief and gratitude. There were a couple times I thought I might not make it. And while I arrive at this milestone a little worse for wear, I'm also a little better and wiser for having lived a half century. A half century full of joy, heartache, babies, true love, loss, emotional scars, physical scars, resilience, gifts, cancer, adventure and everything in between. I'm grateful for every bit of it.

And while I enter my 50's with a few more wrinkles, there is also a twinkle in my eye and an excitement in my spirit for what lies ahead. I have a confidence at 50 that I didn't have at 40 and certainly not at 30. My Sweet Man has told me recently that there is a change happening in me- that there is just something different there. I know what he means and while it is hard to put it into words, I feel it with every fiber of my being. I have come into my own. 

So, yes 50, I welcome you with open arms and excitement and a thankfulness that at the end of a year that was especially challenging, I find myself happy, healthy and dreaming about what's next. 

20 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, 50 is magnificent. Enjoy it and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That is the plan and the same to you.

      Delete
  2. Happy big five-oh, Jen! I'm nearing the end of my 50's...I turned 58 this past August. I have to say that this decade is pretty darn good at "coming into your own." I hope you have a wonderful celebration of this milestone birthday and that your 50's is your best decade yet. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mel! I definitely feel that about this decade.

      Delete
  3. Happy birthday! Age is just a number....keep enjoying your life for all its beauty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never let other people's expectation define me!

      Delete
  4. A very Happy Birthday to you. I am 58 and it seemed like I just turned 50 yesterday. Where did those 8 years go? But I am grateful for every day God gives me. Have a wonderful 50th and a Merry Christmas as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The years do seem to go faster as we get older! I am so grateful too.

      Delete
  5. Happy birthday! I will be 60 in April! We definitely do change with these milestone birthdays.The change I notice is physical. My face has changed, my body is smaller now due to some muscle loss, etc.
    I too feel different. I enjoy everyday or I try to, and I don't worry about what people think as much! Have a beautiful birthday!��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Living our lives for ourselves is so important!

      Delete
  6. Happy birthday! Our second born shares your birthday and she's 43 today. My MIL is 90 today!!!! Good day for a birthday!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I didn't always feel that way but I surely do now.

      Delete
  7. Happy birthday!! I love embracing aging and the gifts that it brings. May you have a wonderful year full of happiness and growth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Janina! I hope for that too.

      Delete
  8. Welcome to a new decade. Sending warm wishes and winter solstice blessings your way. May peace, health and happiness be yours today and always. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy birthday, happy new DECADE to you! I love your attitude, your zest for life. I just hit 45 myself, and I can honestly say I'm looking forward to my 50s when they happen because my 40s have been pretty damn great! You're just cementing those feelings with what you said. I wish you and your family a wonderful holiday and of course, NEW YEAR! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm happy about where I am in life and agree about the 40's being great!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a note. It's always so appreciated.