February 23, 2021

Winter Idyll

 
It would seem that turning our dining room into a cozy sitting room was one of the best decisions we could have made this winter. We are just coming off of a brutally cold, extremely snowy few weeks which saw us spending great stretches of time around the fire. It has been just what I needed physically and mentally. 


Yesterday the temperature began to climb- we finally reached above freezing. The great drifts of snow are beginning to melt and compact, looking less like a winter wonderland and more dirty and sludgy and like the end of the season. As much as I was excited about each snowflake, I now am equally excited to see the sunshine. I look forward to spring rains that will come and wash away the last traces of winter leaving fresh green and buds of life in their wake.



I have needed this long idyll winter to fortify myself. I find I need more quiet in a world that is increasingly loud and chaotic. I read this quote somewhere recently "If it costs you your peace, it's too expensive." And there have been an endless number of things in the last year that have cost me my peace. In fact there have been days when I have felt like regaining my peace was the hardest battle I've ever fought. And I have fought some battles.


(Cats lounging in the sunshine on the dining room table like it's their birthright.)


There are a lot of things we can't control in life, things we waste our energy trying to control and then there are the things that are in our control and that can make our lives infinitely better by choosing one thing over another. Those are things I have been thinking about. If it's not serving us, and we can let it go, why wouldn't we?

So this week, I am soaking up the sunshine, harnessing a bit of that energy and putting it to use. I've finally taken the rest of the Christmas decorations down, I'm dusting forgotten corners, finishing up things I've begun and taking care of some tasks that I have been putting off for ages, all with as many breaks in between as desired and no strict timelines for accomplishing these goals.


Right now I am choosing to limit the amount of noise I take in, which in turn limits the amount of anxiety I feel. If I'm taking care of myself, I have more energy to put into the people and things that I love.

Maybe the change of seasons makes me more introspective than usual. I am so hopeful for this next season. Tempered hope. Though I know that no matter what happens next, I'm going to keep looking for the small joys in my days and feeling grateful for what I have. I'm not spending much time on Instagram these days so I'm looking forward to recording those little moments here.


11 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your story with us. Your words bring great comfort during a very difficult time in our world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate to all of this more than you could know - so thank you for sharing.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed your post, and I felt peace while reading it! I am completely off social media now, and it has been very good for me. I'm focusing more on blogging, because the women I've met via blogging have been such and inspiration, and so positive. Thank-you for your thoughtful post. Yesterday, it was 70 degrees and not a cloud in the sky here in Central Alabama...I took our dogs on a long walk, and I soaked-up the sun. That's all I accomplished yesterday, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your post - I enjoyed it while drinking my morning coffee. I live just a few minutes from you in Carmel - and like you, though it was nice to finally have some real snow and wintry weather. It was perfect for knitting by the fireplace!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your pictures show love and peace!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your words and your pictures are are calming and peaceful dear Jen xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that quote, it really speaks to me after this past year, after this past week. I need to take some deep breaths and have quiet. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your photos are so lovely. So different from mine but I think that is why I appreciate them so. I love to see the differences in all our lives. It's funny, I have gravitated more toward IG than blogging lately. Those little squares have kept me sane the past year. You take care and stay well. Kit

    ReplyDelete
  9. Enjoyed reading. Lovely photos and cute pets.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Spring and am sooooo missing your blog posts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a note. It's always so appreciated.