March 02, 2022

In Like a Lion

 

If you had asked, I would have said that I hoped 2022 would feel like riding the train around the grounds of the zoo- calm, pretty things to look at- lovely and predictable. Well, in fact the reality of 2022 so far has been a madcap, hang on by the seat of my pants, at turns terrifying, exciting and stomach churning roller coaster. I'm not sure I'd recommend it. The world is in chaos, my home is in chaos, my mind steadily veers in that direction too.

The last week has brought great swells of anxiety, where world, home and life challenges collide. The renovation is all encompassing at this point. As soon as I get one thing marked off the list, something else gets added. I know this is the hard stage and when the actual work begins this part will be behind me. 

For now I balance gratitude for finally being in this place, with hand wringing, deep sighs and an overloaded circuit system. And I survive it all by taking walks around the Village, sitting in quiet, cat in lap, knitting at the ready (only the simplest of patterns), tea at hand, husband nearby ready to cuddle. 

In the last week we were able to mark off the list: hardwood, plumbing fixtures, finding a rental (huge!!), initial meeting with the marble fabricator, new french doors for the dining room, exterior door for the mudroom, casement window for the kitchen, some tile decisions and I got lighting ordered for over the island which was a weeks long ordeal because of our extremely low (not even 8 feet) ceilings. 


And if that wasn't enough to fill my plate, I added in a day trip on Friday that was house related and one on Saturday that was Emma related. She made a quilt last semester (all from fabrics she hand dyed herself with natural materials) in her Fibers II class and it was on display in an Historic house near her school. Why do they always say "an historic" I wonder?

Now we have some budget challenges to figure out because lucky us for finally being able to do renovations during a time when the cost of absolutely everything is skyrocketing. Hard decisions are being made about dining room built-ins, hardwood flooring for the lower level (the current floor is too thin to be refinished again) and millwork. Creativity is being triggered. Ingenuity is being called into action. 

We are trying to make budget friendly choices in some areas and take on some of the work ourselves. We will see where we end up. I'm trying not to make every aspect of the project SO important while also getting what I truly want. The contractor was surprised how well I took the news of the climbing budget. But I'm used to limits and budgets. I've lived my whole life with them. It doesn't phase me much.

Next up I need to make more lighting and tile decisions and go visit some marble slabs. That is a moment I have been dreaming about since I bought my first house at 21. Aside from the tile counters with science experiment worthy grout that I have now, I have only ever had formica counters. What a dream come true marble will be. I even look forward to the unavoidable character that they will acquire.

I'm closing in on finishing the hard parts. Then I just have to pack up the house and darn it I just realized I need to add find mover to the list. Sigh. And so it continues. 


And while March came in like a lion, as she is want to do, I do so hope she will kindly and gently go out like a lamb. Maybe if we all join hands and wish it into existence, it will be so. The past few years have brought entirely too much lion for my liking. 

6 comments:

  1. I know it is stressful to remodel. But it is exciting too! You are going to have a beautiful kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This all sounds so stressful! I'd probably be six feet under by now, lol. I can barely handle the thought of having to have our kitchen redone (just cabinets, backsplash, new countertops - and mine are formica, BTW, and hardwood floor refinished)...even that throws me into an almost panic attack. But having your whole house remodeled and having to move out?! Gaah! You are very strong and brave, my friend. I give you a lot of credit. Your house will be extra amazing and beautiful when it's done though. And it'll all be worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I can't imagine a remodel that extensive that you have to move out, no wonder you're stressed out! Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your plate is full, but it will be so lovely when all the work is done, and you get to enjoy your new space! Hang in there! BTW I love your daughter's quilt. She's very talented!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Setting up a new space... always fun but hard work.
    New here, enjoying your blog.
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found your blog randomly, but am also renovating a cottage! I think I'll check in with you to see your progress and hopefully keep my own renovation motivation :) I'm already getting decision fatigue from all the choices of simple items like bathtubs and floors. But I know it will all be worth it, once it's done.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a note. It's always so appreciated.