November 14, 2022

Honey, I'm Home

I'm coming out of my hidey hole to say hello. We moved home 4 weeks ago today and are finally feeling settled. There are 2 boxes that I know of that are still to be unpacked, but for today I am pretending they do not exist. Although, even though they are labeled in a way that would indicate otherwise, they are probably holding the handful of things I still can't find and which continue to vex me.

To say we are happy to be home would be the most glorious understatement in my personal history. I often don't want to go to sleep because I honestly don't want to let go but waking up at home after almost 6 months of being away, is a delight that arrives anew every morning.

For the better part of this year, I have longed for slow days. Since May, the idea of slow days spent in our home post renovation, is what kept me going. Since we got home I have pushed myself to get settled in and not let the chaos linger. It would seem no sooner had I gotten one space set up and organized, that the contents from another would get redistributed, disturbing my peace.

Yesterday was the beginning of my reward as I spent the entire day in my pajamas in my studio. And today…a Monday spent in my favorite way- making the house tidy, meal planning for the week, moving around at my own pace, doing any number of small jobs that I forget as soon as I’m done and nobody else even thinks about, until at the end of the day I ask myself, “what DID I do today?!” But I know what I did…I lived out my perfect simple day and enjoyed every moment of it. I’m vowing to myself to stop keeping track of what I checked off the list, purely so that I can justify whatever joy I might squeeze from what’s left of the day. I realize my life would be better served by starting with the joy and letting the rest fill in the space left over.


Speaking of joy- this little love, Genevieve Mae, who calls me Honey (or will one day) joined our family in October. So much goodness for us this year.

Now I'm off to walk the dog and bake some bread and start my Thanksgiving list. It's so good to be home.

10 comments:

  1. It has been an absolute joy to see glimpses of this lovely renovation. I think we are kindred spirits in loving the simple, slow joys of home......................so enjoy, linger, soak up all the order and beauty you have created. It is precious and a treasure to be a keeper of the home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I have followed along on your journey your joy has been contagious. Simple days doing tasks only I remember are the best of days. Cold weather makes piddling around that much better. Here’s to many more days like todays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bonnie StoltzfoosNovember 14, 2022 6:07 PM

    This post!! Absolutely wonderful. I’m so happy for you and your husband being home! I love what you said about the joy coming first. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love catching up with you and love your photos. Your warm drinks always look so decadent. What are you drinking today?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so happy for you! I know you are enjoying your beautiful cottage. Your granddaughter is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on that new beautiful baby! And getting back into your lovely home!

    ReplyDelete
  7. congratulations on your beautiful home and very sweet granddaughter! i am very happy for you all. may God bless you all.

    and i appreciate and am holding on to what you said about joy first. thank you for that, too.

    from someone who enjoys your blog, creativity and way of life (and who isn't very tech-y to comment often)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so glad you are home and love being there. What a special sweet grandbaby. It just melts your heart to look at her, doesn't it? Is she close by so that you are able to see her often?
    Happy piddlin' around as you get set up and reestablish your routines. Hugs- Diana

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on your grandchild... what a beautiful photo snuggled up peacefully in lovely pillows and blankets... love.
    All my best wishes to you, the grandchild, your home...
    hug Viola

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so happy for you. Every now and then I would look you up to see if there were updates. You were on my mind and once again checked your blog page. I was so happy to see you're back. I even missed a blog...more to read. What a sweet precious addition to your family!!! Looking forward to the next blog! Blessings, Sharon in Texas

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a note. It's always so appreciated.