February 15, 2023

Sooo Long, but Not So Long

These last months have passed in a haze of unpacking, nest fluffing, entertaining, celebrating, kitchening (a word used here to describe spending as much time as possible doing whatever I can think to do to spend more time in the kitchen) and a really good amount of time in the studio. 

Life has been treating us really well. I believe we have seen the last of subcontractors for awhile, we are loving only paying living expenses for a single residence, we've had entire weekends given over to doing absolutely as little as possible, our new grandbaby is an absolute delight of round, cherubic perfection and we are generally just settling back into our lives.

Spring has been showing up a bit earlier in fits and starts to give us a little taste of what is ahead. I sit here in my studio, the sun streaming in and warming my hands and heart. We have had so many grey days that the sunshine and the shadows that play on the walls have become a novelty I cannot stop feeling wonder about. I get in the car to go somewhere and think what is that bright light shining in my eyes? I need sunglasses! Where are they even at? I can't recall the last time I wore them!

Generally, I'm spending as much of my extra time as possible making whatever I am led to make on any given day- a new journal, wax seals, practicing caligraphy, art journaling, bad paintings, slow stitching pages for my 100 day stitch project, visible mending, a colorwork sweater vest reminiscent of All Creatures Great and Small- a show which is inspiring every wardrobe choice I make these days. Also, every wardrobe choice I make for my Sweet Man. I ask myself, would Helen wear that? Would Mrs. hall? Would Jim wear that sweater? What about Tris or Siegfried? It's such a lovely and cozy world to escape into and sometimes that is what I need. And for the life of me, I cannot find much else of value to watch on television. With all of the choices out there, I find there isn't too much that appeals to me.

I'm just now starting to come out of the renovation fog and starting to think about next steps and doing some projects to finish up some areas that got cut because, I don't know if you know this but, everything is SO expensive right now. I'm so grateful we were able to move ahead with our project but that budget did not stretch as far as we hoped so we cut things we could do ourselves. The tricky part is finding motivation but I find that I'm starting to dream about the next layer of prettiness and while our wallets are still in a bit of a fog, we will be tackling some small things here and there this year.

Late spring and summer promise to be full of life with Emmy graduating from College and moving to Ohio for a job, a couple of fun trips on the calendar and all the fullness of Village life when the temperatures are steadily above 60. I look forward to being in the house for spring and summer and savoring all of the things we missed last year. I'm excited to get my hands in the dirt and to get to look outside to my gardens whenever I like. I'm going to porch sit like it's my job. 


I don't know if anyone reads blogs anymore. I know I forget to. I forgot my own blog for awhile until Maddie sent me a link to one of my recipes on it today. That made me nostalgic reading about what 2014 Jen was up to. I do love recording what's going on in my life here in my little diary. Thank you for coming back and checking on me for all of these years. I've gotten so out of touch with getting my camera out but have plans to do that as well. I didn't take a single photo with it last year and am embarrassed to tell you that I forgot how to turn it on! Seriously. So as soon as I figure that out ;) I want to start seeing the world through my lens again. Until then, I hope you will kindly put up with these photos from my phone that likely have nothing to do with anything but are here purely to give you something pretty to look at while reading my drivel.

I hope to do a more in depth post of our house soon as well as before and after photos for all of our amusement. I even want to do a video tour and put it on youtube for anyone interested in seeing more. We had our contractor over for cocktails a couple of weeks ago and she asked if there was anything we'd do different and you know what? There is not!


I'd love for you to say hello and tell me what you've been up to if you are so inclined. This space will always be a special place for me. 



37 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m always so excited to have a new post of yours (here on the blog or on Instagram) to read. :) You inspire me!

    - Bonnie Stoltzfoos

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to see you are blogging again. I love your decorating style and your posts. Please keep blogging :) Mary S.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary! It always feels good to be back in this space.

      Delete
  4. Hello, I just found you a few months ago on Instagram and I have enjoyed seeing your posts and creativity !

    ReplyDelete
  5. So lovely to hear from you again. Your photos are beautiful as ever! I guess you are very happy all the building and redecorating is finally over (I know I was over at my cottage). Now it's time to rest and enjoy. Love from The Netherlands, Marleen XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marleen!! Yes, we are very happy! I'm starting to think about some smaller projects we still need to do but life will be too full to move forward for awhile. I hope you are well!

      Delete
  6. I love you momma bear! I still read your blog every time :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Been following along with you since my 16 year old was a baby! I appreciate this peaceful corner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to believe I've been around that long. Thank you!

      Delete
  8. รˆ bellissimo ritrovarti a scrivere e poter di nuovo stare in tua compagnia leggendoti! Aspetto il before/after del tuo nido.
    Dall'Italia...un abbraccio

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grazie per la tua gentilezza! Presto, lo prometto!

      Delete
  9. I check your blog everyday for an update. I even joined instagram to keep up with you. It makes my day when you post and read them all several times. Cindy Huxtable

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Cincy! That is very sweet of you. Thank you so much.

      Delete
  10. I was so pleased to see a new post from you! Please do post more photos of your renovation ... a You Tube video tour would be wonderful. It was clearly a huge undertaking and from what I've seen so far, you've done an amazing job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jane! I plan to do it this spring. We will be switching our dining room back and dismantling our keeping room until next winter and some time after that I will do it! In fact my hubby has a work trip in March and I think that would be the perfect time!

      Delete
  11. I look to see if you have posted a new entry EVERY day! I also often look back on your older blog entries for inspo on my own home dรฉcor and crafting ideas as well. Thank you for being a continued inspiration and congrats on the reno, new grandbaby and soon to be new college graduate :) <3. ~Kelli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelli- I am humbled by that. Thank you so much. I'd like to find some time to see what newsletter options might be available to me. I'm just so tech challenged!

      Delete
  12. I still read blogs and have always loved yours! I love your style, the beautiful vintage touches throughout your home. It's so cheery and pretty. Reading your blog feels like talking to a dear friend. I love knitting, too, and am working on a throw blanket for my daughter to take to college with her this fall. Oh, and I used to watch All Creatures with my mom, years ago. I also like Downton Abbey. Thank you for the beautiful inspiration you post here and on instagram! I look forward to more photos of the renovation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elizabeth! I feel like I am writing to a friend when I blog. But also, like I am writing to future me. ;) I love that you're making your daughter a blanket! I did the same when Emma went to college. She loved it and it was a nice thing for me to be able to focus all my feelings into.

      Delete
  13. Oh, what a joy it is to read this post. Just like the old days! I miss the simpler days of blogging. Thank you for posting and giving us little glimpses into your life. I just love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too my beautiful friend. The nostalgia is so strong at times. xo

      Delete
  14. Nice hearing from you and getting glimpses of your darling kitchen. I tend to read blogs more these days than social media. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always loved that blogs felt like community. I felt that in the beginning with IG but about the time of the birth of the influencer it started to lose it's pleasure for me.

      Delete
  15. What a thrill it was to see that you had posted when I checked your blog today!! I have been checking for SOOO LOOONG it feels and nothing has ever changed here. I was hoping that you hadn't decided to quit blogging. Your blog is a peaceful respite for the cozy, creative soul and please keep blogging if at all possible. I am sure your past year of reno work has been trying but I'm sure we're all anxious to see the glorious end results. Know that your blog is valued, and loved. ---Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I promise it is my plan, Kim. I'm sorry to have been gone so long. I just had nothing left in the tank for most of last year. Lately when I capture a moment of my days I think to myself, share it on the blog, not on Instagram.

      Delete
  16. All Creatures is the best:)!

    Your kitchen is so charming and I can tell how thoughtful you were with everything…It’s beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I literally have reruns playing right now in the background making me feel so cozy. Thank you for your sweet words about the kitchen! I'm so very happy with it!

      Delete
  17. I really enjoy reading blogs, that's how I came across yours.
    But yes, every now and then you need a blog break. That's perfectly fine, as long as you come back :-)) Nice to have you here and thank you very much for your wonderful photos of kitchen e.c. Your yarn stash looks wonderful. I hope you enjoy knitting. I'm working on a sweater... yesterday, after the first spring weather, we had snow again... we had a lot of fun with it.
    Let's look forward to spring now.
    Hug of Viola

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Viola! We also are going back and forth between spring and winter weather and I am enjoying both!

      Delete
  18. I love your blog, but you really need to tell us what is in those yummy mugs of whatever you are drinking! They always look so decadent and fun. Enjoy your new remodel. It looks quite lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi there -- I kind of also gave up on my blog for a while -- I got busy working 2 part-time jobs plus my worrying about everyone and everything took up a bit of brain space! I'm starting up again too as I know I love to look back and see what was going on. Your reno looks gorgeous!! We are just starting projects on our two full baths - one at a time hopefully! :) How see that your girl is graduating from college and has a job already!! Wowzer!! My youngest is a junior in college and not too far from home, so that is indeed a blessing. Take care and I'll be back to see what's new with you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I stopped blogging at the end of last year and have had a hard time following blogs. Bloglovin is not working at all. Today I googled, to find you. I am so glad you are in your home again. The pictures your share are wonderful. I would enjoy seeing more! Congrats on the grand and to your other daugher on her upcoming college graduation!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello, Jen. I was surprised to see I missed your February post. I always look forward to reading them. I love, love, love your little cottage!! It is precious! Congratulations on your new grandchild. I have 6 grands. They are all out of the nest except one. She will graduate next year. I get nostalgic at times remembering the joy they brought me when they were little. Now, they
    have jobs, two going to college, and one found a job in Alaska! She leaves next week and will be gone till September. I'm a widow and I have moments wanting to be with them. Thank goodness for texting! I look forward to reading your next post.
    Blessings to you and yours.
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  22. Can’t wait to see the winter and what you do Jen. I’m always more about seasons and transitioning the gardens more enjoyable than “work in the garden”. It comes with age and wisdom ๐Ÿ’–๐ŸŒป๐ŸŒพ๐Ÿ

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a note. It's always so appreciated.