January 01, 2024

These Sacred Days


Hello you with the gentle spirit in a hard world. How about if this year you hold some sacred space for yourself? How about if this year you vow to carve out time to rest, to feed your spirit, to replenish your soul?



Hello you who is a caregiver, a friend, a manager, a business owner, a planner, a volunteer, a parent, an employee, a person who gives so much to those around you. How about if this year you start giving a little bit of that energy back to yourself so that you can serve those around you with a glad spirit rather than maybe feeling resentful and stressed?
 

How about if this year you make space in your life for a sacred day or afternoon or hour? 


What if you got up a little early or stayed up a little late? What if you told the people in your house and life, that on Sunday afternoon you will be doing something just for you? Or if your life allows it, what if you join me on Wednesdays, or chose Fridays or every 3rd Tuesday, to do whatever it is that makes your soul take flight? When you do it doesn't matter. That you do it, makes all the difference.


What if today you promised to take better care of yourself by doing what makes you happy? That is your job and nobody else’s. What if you stopped waiting for someone else to do it?


What if you did this very small, but not small at all thing for yourself?


Start where you are and do what you can according to the stage of life you are in right now. Spend your time guilt free doing something creative or practicing yoga, napping, writing, reading or staring out a window, daydreaming, baking bread, meditating or tending your garden...anything you want to do for the sheer sake of enjoyment and not because it needs to be done.


What if you create a space for yourself that feels special whether it's a room, a desk, a cozy chair or a basket full of things that delight you?


Instead of listing all the reasons you can’t, why not list all the reasons you should fortify your spirit in difficult times? This is not a selfish endeavor. This is doing the important work of nurturing your soul. 


Dear you with the weary spirit and the endless to do lists that will never go away and never be finished, what if this year you created a practice that could change the way you view your life? 

I hope you will. I started this practice more than 7 years ago and it has been life changing for me. It has given me comfort and peace during cancer, covid, renovations, loss and any number of very hard moments in my life. It has been the thing I look forward to every week for so long that I cannot imagine my time without it. It has deepened my creativity, gratitude and joy. I guard it fiercely and everyone around me knows that I am unavailable on my Sacred Day. I found that when I started taking myself seriously and respecting my time and energy, those around me followed suit. It has quite literally changed my life. 

I plan to come back later in the week with a bit of a recap of the last 8 months but I need to muster the energy (it has been an exhausting year both mentally and physically) and I am still firmly planted in the hush of the post Christmas season where my days consist of the bare minimum of homekeeping, lots of making, reading, movie watching and pretending I'm going to make dinner only to choose leftovers or takeout instead 50% of the time. Happiest New Year! May this year be kind and gentle to all of us.

20 comments:

  1. πŸ₯Ή❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful!!!!! Sacred Days est 2024 right NOW !! Thank you for sharing✨

    ReplyDelete
  3. The very best advice! In the middle of Christmas chaos this year I reminded myself that I “get” to host my family for the holiday, not that I “have” to. It helped me very much to get through the busy season. I loved waking to your post this morning…you are always a bright spot for me…

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thankful for this post and for you friend. I will be adding this practice to my life this new year. You are smart and inspirational and your words resonate with me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the inspiration to simply take the time to care for ourselves. We all need a little reminder to slow down and remember what’s important. I love your outlook πŸ’•πŸŽ„

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such wonderful advice you have given. With grown children now gone from the home, I do take time for myself but don't seem to be very productive with my time. I love your ornaments and little "cottage of critters" on the shelf. Such whimsy. Happy, Healthy New Year and look forward to new posts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So beautifully said and inspiring! A big heartfelt thank you and wishing you a happy 2024 πŸ’•

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your Sacred Day...going to start on Fridays afternoons, I work until 12 and the rest of the day is mine, go to a coffee shop and read, or go to Barns and Noble and look over the books and magazines...Thanks for this great advice. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for this beautiful inspiration! I don't do Sacred Days, but I do make time most every day for some Sacred Time. I hope that counts! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. wonderful inspiration to tend to our own needs before we can help others. Your photos are beautiful as always especially your yummy warm drink. What IS that?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wise words, thank you! πŸ’—

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this. As my kids have gotten older (two are out of the house) this has been an easier thing for me to do. When they were little it was so hard to find time for myself. I am thankful to have a very supportive family that knows how much I need "me" time. I play the flute in a concert band. We practice once a week at night for a few hours. I love it. I also find time to knit, read and just be me. It's so important and not enough women do this!!!!!! Thank you for your post. It was inspiring and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ever since your last post, I have been checking in almost daily in hopes of seeing a new one, patiently waiting. Imagine my surprise to find this post in the first week of the new year! Just perfect advice, and full of warmth and coziness. I have been planning just such a time of rejuvenation for myself and I hope to inspire others to do so too by sending them this blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for this inspiring post. I try to take some time for myself every day. I go for a walk most days, make a cup of tea, or just spend time in the kitchen cooking and baking. It's so important that we take the time to take good care of ourselves. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the aesthetics of your space!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful advice - thank you for the encouragement and in such beautiful thoughts and words!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love this post! I will try and follow your lead --have started back on my daily walking and feels so good! Of course, the warmer temps help a lot! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just found your blog & enjoyed reading this post. Can you please tell me the recipe for the last photo? It looks like peppermint cocoa or is it something else? The cup & saucer are so pretty & make it very appealing. I’m always hunting for new hot chocolate recipes. Hope 2024 is a happy & healthy year for you & your family.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I loved this post and hope/plan to do this for myself, weekly. I see you haven't come back to the blog, so hope your life and schedule hasn't become more difficult.
    Peace be with you.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a note. It's always so appreciated.