August 24, 2021

I Can

With the change of seasons, both figurative and literal, I feel my focus shifting. The nest is empty once again and summer is waning. Autumn can't get here fast enough for me. The potager garden is the thing keeping me out there watering when I'm tempted to let the garden die a slow, parched death while I sit inside under a fan. The idea of falling leaves and brisk days feels a little bit like a lie right now, so I remind myself that there is something to love about every season. Even if that something is just tomatoes and margaritas. This heat could make me cranky if I let it. 

But then I remember...there is still a lot to love about this season of life right now. In between the frustration, heartache, sorrow and blazing summer heat.


I can still wake up in the morning grateful to be alive, grateful for another day. Instead of going through my days and life on autopilot I can cherish the chance to make homemade beer bread one day and ricotta cheese the next. I can roast some garlic and spread it on a thick BLT sandwich with garden fresh tomatoes, remoulade and ripe avocado and serve it to my girls for an unexpected family lunch.


I can spend some time in my studio, losing myself in creative pursuits either alone or with a friend, the hours passing without any awareness, while I work in an inspired stupor.

 I can pour myself a cup of tea, shut the door and have some quiet time planning and  journaling.

I can go on a spontaneous brunch date with my best guy, have dinner with friends and make homemade lobster rolls that remind me of being on vacation. 

I can cuddle up and read a book, watch a movie or find a new tv show. 

Life is easier if we focus on the cans instead of the can'ts

I can choose to have a life full of days well lived, moments cherished and small joys observed while appreciating the things that are right in front of me. 

11 comments:

  1. Thank you, thank you! I've needed to hear your words about "moments cherished and small joys observed".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful thoughts! I try to savor each day but sometimes I find myself rushing through days to get to "one certain date" where something special is happening. Bad habit, I know!

    I am not looking forward to fall at all. Holding on to every last bit of summer that I can, though I admit, I do not like these dog days of summer where it's brutally hot and humid. It was 106 today with the heat index!

    Love all your photos.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. “Life is easier if we focus on the cans instead of the can'ts.” Your words are exactly what I needed to see this morning. I rarely comment, but always enjoy your posts and beautiful photos.
    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m so ready for Fall.
    I just had the most amazing ricotta that was made in house at a local restaurant. And after seeing you make some, I think I definitely need to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I needed your post this morning. My attitude hasn't been what it should be, and your post has added a perspective that was needed. Thank-you for such a sweet, uplifting post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well said, my friend. Sometimes I get a little bit stuck in autopilot mode while waiting for my future to begin and forget to enjoy the here and now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very well said, I try to look for the positive, it is easier some days than others. Your post was lovely today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "I can choose to have a life full of days well lived, moments cherished and small joys observed while appreciating the things that are right in front of me." YES! YES! and YES! No one...NO ONE could have said it any better. Be the best you, live the best you and be happy. Thank you for your words and wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Exactly! Ditto from Montana. I am loving simple days and making my own headlines. "Cat sits on woman. Traps her for hours!" 😊 Kit

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your posts are always so inspiring to me!!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. So appropriate to read this as autumn is just arriving as you wished!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a note. It's always so appreciated.