September 22, 2021

Autumn's Arrival

 

Right on cue, autumn arrived today. It is one of those impossibly beautiful, perfectly seasonally appropriate days. The temperature is 54 degrees, the rain has steadily fallen all day and time is passing so slowly that I find myself constantly amazed that it's not later in the day. I could happily relive this day over and over.


The wind whistles and gusts, rattling the studio window screens, autumn music plays in the other room, cozy lamps light dark corners of the house, a candle flickers in an amber jar. I wear the softest clothes in my wardrobe, all in shades of grey except for my hand knit socks taking their maiden voyage on the freshly washed hardwood floors. The house is tidy and my to do list is forgotten. My focus is on the things that give me pleasure: knitting, reading, stitching and staring out the window feeling like the luckiest girl that ever lived. 

He comes downstairs and asks me to join him for lunch. Afterwards we curl up on the sofa together, intertwined in that way our bodies do without thought. We fit perfectly. We snuggle in and set the alarm for 20 minutes. He drifts, I rest and smile. He wakes up and kisses me and drifts again. We reset the alarm- 5 more minutes. I try to remember what my days were like before he started working from home. I lay there completely content, sure I have never been this happy in my entire life. 

He heads back upstairs, I head back to the studio, after all it is Sacred Day. I'm surrounded by beautiful messes. I stitch and think. I daydream about the cozy months to come. There is tea and sourdough toast smeared with dark chocolate. I knit. I try on my sweater. I look at the clock again, I smile. I whisper thank you to the universe.

This is the kind of day I want to memorize-close my eyes and commit the feeling of it to memory- imprint it on my brain so I can recall it at will when I am in need of the comfort of it. I hope that day never comes. I hope I will be this happy til the end of my days.


17 comments:

  1. The joy of contentment is everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely day, your description reminds me of a passage from a book I just finished-The Shell Seekers, by Rosamunde Pilcher. She describes luxury, not as the dictionary definition of having sumptuous indulgences, but rather when we have the "total fulfillment of all 5 senses at once". I'm so glad you shared your luxury of a fall day at home with us, it will remind me to look for the beauty around me. Best Wishes, Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rebecca, I loved that book! And September is so good!

      Delete
    2. One of my favorite writers....I have one of her quotes from September on my sidebar!

      Delete
  3. Loves reading this! Swooniess with the husband, bliss! (Cannot tell Rick because I'm been at home for 18 months and he's not gotten this!) A Mouse cameo and what is autumn music in your household? I'm thinking jazz. I just got out a candle to burn tomorrow. The first day I've worn jeans in month. And wore my new knitted blanket wrap. Happy Sacred Day, Jen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your day sounded so full of love, gratitude and contentment!

    I am the total opposite with this cooler, gloomy weather. We went from 90 and sunny here to the 50's and 60's overnight. It makes me depressed and lethargic. Hard to get out of bed and get going. I feel Seasonal Affective Disorder already kicking in. I thrive on warm temps and sunshine, shorts, t-shirts and bare feet. I live in the wrong part of the country, don't I?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have SAD in the summer. I live in hot, humid Georgia. You and I should exchange homes-at least for the season. We had 58 degrees this morning, and I'm feeling a lift. :)

      Delete
  5. What a beautifull way of looking round in life's day and making it great. I (and a lot of other grumpy people) can take you and this blog as an example. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you will be happy til the end of your days as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such beautiful contentment I see.... what a wonderful way to be and feel on this special day... I love the saying "the magic of ordinary days".... as any "ordinary" day can just be full of magic if we look for it. I don't have a couch or love seat to curl up on, but if I did.......I would. Can hardly wait to light some candles.. candles make their own magic, don't they? Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful post...thank you

    Cindy Huxtable

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautifully said and felt
    Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  10. Isn't fall great in the Midwest? You are almost a neighbor so we are having the same weather. And oh, how I wish I could take the calories out of the chocolate spread! My favorite though is an English muffin with lingonberry jam.

    Happy fall!🍁

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a lovely and cozy post! I'm intrigued about the projects you're working on...they look like a lot of fun, especially the teacups! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely, cozy post! The perfect way to welcome in the first day of autumn.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful words and photos Jen.
    Take precious care, Jude x
    fairywrencottage.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely. I am basking in the glow of this glimpse of bliss!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a note. It's always so appreciated.