February 17, 2022

Stay the Course



This morning as I sat with my morning chai, tucked into my favorite corner of the world, I opened up pinterest to obsess over today's renovation to do list- namely, subway tile backsplash for the kitchen and bathroom tile designs. I have a lot of things on my checklist right now and have been feeling a little overwhelmed. Ok, a lot overwhelmed but also just so thankful to get to do this. There has also been some second guessing my choices as I work to stay true to my style, what I've always loved and not fall into the trend trap. Yesterday required me telling myself several times to "stay the course" and when I found out that our cabinetmaker sent our order to production there was great relief (and a tiny bit of anxiety) about that now being out of my hands.

So there I sat, ready to noodle through some choices when on the home page of my Pinterest feed is a white kitchen (of course) with a description that says "It's All White Now Momma" so obviously I clicked on it and it took me a minute to realize it was a link to a blog post that I wrote in 2010 with an ode to my love of the white kitchen and a description of what my dream kitchen would look like and I have to tell you...relief FLOODED through me because... that is the very kitchen I am designing! 

Pre-Spring House Tour | Kitchen & Hearth | Jenny Steffens Hobick

SERENDIPITY.  

Harnham House on Instagram: “Seen as Maggie had a picture yesterday I felt bad for Winnie. Here she is in all her beauty on the kitchen units, her favourite…”

I was struck by two things while reading that post- first, I am on the right path and these are things I have always loved and will always love- second, I have been waiting a very long time for this kitchen and while it hasn't always been easy to be patient as "we will do it next year" rolled over year, after year, it will be so worth it because I am getting exactly what I want and if we had done it before now I would have had to sacrifice parts of the dream list that are very important to me. 

The lessons here for me are: Patience pays off and block out the noise, rely on the design elements that have always made my heart sing and stay true to the house and to myself. There are always going to be people who don't approve because I didn't do...file in the blank- but this project is going to be uniquely me and that's just the way I like it. Nay sayers gonna nay. ;) 

So I thought I'd take a moment here to share some of my inspiration for the project before I share the layout and finishes we've chosen. This is just a small sample and just for the kitchen/dining/boot room part of the project which all tie in together and which make up the bulk of our project and budget. All of these photos are from Pinterest and you can follow my Village Renovation 2022 board over there for more if you're interested. 

I'm waiting to hear back from the contractor now that our cabinet order is in. There is a 20 week lead time so that information will allow her to work backwards to form a schedule. As soon as I get that I should probably find us a place to live as well as choose and order tile, light fixtures, plumbing fixtures, flooring, doors, windows...


STAY THE COURSE


8 comments:

  1. I love your style and am so happy that you are being true to you! I can't wait to see it all happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All beautiful!! Doris

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting yet also stressful! My kitchen needs a complete renovation as do our bathrooms. I don't know when that's ever going to happen though. I want to start with some small kitchen things like having our cabinets either painted or refaced, then tile backsplash and counters (then the wood floors need to be refinished) but I don't want to have any contracting work done in the house right now while Clementine is still alive. She's older and sick, so any noise and strangers in the house would not be good for her.

    I agree with going with your heart and not buckling under to trends. It's YOUR house - go with what you like! You're the one who has to live there. I will have to go and take a look at your Pinterest board.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So exciting! I work for a hand crafted, custom furniture company and we are dealing with A LOT of extended lead times so "Stay the Course" is used often with our customers. Remember to continue to have fun with this remodel even during the difficult times. This is your vision and dream come true <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's so funny about Pinterest, and I think that should definitely be confirmation that you've made terrific choices. I look forward to seeing your big reveal! :D

    I enjoyed looking at all the pretty inspirations you posted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so happy for you Jenn, a new kitchen is a dream come true and I am so happy your dream is coming true

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that your home renovations is being well thought out. I love your inspiration pictures. I kept a ton when we did our lakehouse full out over. My thoughts on trends. They really aren't something we should shun--they get a bad rap. They shouldn't be a design directive but they are there to give options when we are undecided. My daughter ( the interior designer) didn't like my choice of doing subway tile in my kitchen-that it was outdated. I didn't listen and I'm so happy. You do you!

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jen, I'm finally catching up on my fav blog. I absolutely adore everything on your reno inspiration boards. Best of luck in the coming days with all the construction. Your already charming home will be BEAUTIFUL beyond words when it's all finished. Then I'm moving in with you. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a note. It's always so appreciated.